Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear Router Not Working With Eir - Help

Options
  • 14-02-2016 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi, I recently tried to switch my home network router from Eir's own one to a better Netgear one. When I first plugged it in it worked for about an hour and then it lost connection to the internet. I tried plugging it in and out a few times and checked all connections but it still won't connect to the internet. I then plugged Eir's router back in and I have internet again but I would really like to use the Netgear one as it is much better. Any idea why it won't connect? Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

SW98 wrote: »
    Hi, I recently tried to switch my home network router from Eir's own one to a better Netgear one. When I first plugged it in it worked for about an hour and then it lost connection to the internet. I tried plugging it in and out a few times and checked all connections but it still won't connect to the internet. I then plugged Eir's router back in and I have internet again but I would really like to use the Netgear one as it is much better. Any idea why it won't connect? Thanks for any replies.

You sure your settings are correct on the Netgear router?

Is it fibre BB or ADSL and what settings have you set?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭SW98

mcquaim wrote: »
    You sure your settings are correct on the Netgear router?

Is it fibre BB or ADSL and what settings have you set?

It is ADSl. When I connected it at first yesterday it connected to the internet and then I was going through the router settings on the web and it just lost connection and it won't connect again. When it lost connection I think I was just after setting a static IP. The thing is now I can't get onto the web settings for the router because it won't connect to the internet.

It is ADSl. When I connected it at first yesterday it connected to the internet and then I was going through the router settings on the web and it just lost connection and it won't connect again. When it lost connection I think I was just after setting a static IP. The thing is now I can't get onto the web settings for the router because it won't connect to the internet.

Did you set a static WAN or LAN IP address?

Eir don't give you a static IP address so put that back to dynamic if that's what you changed!

Did you set a static WAN or LAN IP address?

Eir don't give you a static IP address so put that back to dynamic if that's what you changed!

I think it was a static LAN IP address, but I'm not too sure. I put the static IP address to the IPv4 you get when you type IPCONFIF into your cmd. I done this as I was trying to port forward Black Ops 3 on PS4. How can I change this if I can't get into the Netgear router web settings.

I think it was a static LAN IP address, but I'm not too sure. I put the static IP address to the IPv4 you get when you type IPCONFIF into your cmd. I done this as I was trying to port forward Black Ops 3 on PS4. How can I change this if I can't get into the Netgear router web settings.

Have you only set your computer to have a static IP?

Changing anything in ipconfig on your computer should only affect it.

Are other devices getting access to the Internet ok?

Maybe best to hit the reset button on the router and start again! Firstly change your computer to not have a static IP address so you'll be able to access the router..

• Advertisement

Have you only set your computer to have a static IP?

Changing anything in ipconfig on your computer should only affect it.

Are other devices getting access to the Internet ok?

Maybe best to hit the reset button on the router and start again! Firstly change your computer to not have a static IP address so you'll be able to access the router..

No I only used ipconfig to get the IPv4 to put as the static IP on the Netgear web settings, I didn't change it on the computer. I have my eir router plugged back in and I have internet from it. I pressed the reset button when the Netgear was plugged in until the power button flashed and it rebooted but it still did't connect to the internet. The only light on the router is the green power button and a green DSL button.

No I only used ipconfig to get the IPv4 to put as the static IP on the Netgear web settings, I didn't change it on the computer. I have my eir router plugged back in and I have internet from it. I pressed the reset button when the Netgear was plugged in until the power button flashed and it rebooted but it still did't connect to the internet. The only light on the router is the green power button and a green DSL button.

When you hit the reset button you then have to enter all the connection settings again on the router, it won't automatically connect!

When you hit the reset button you then have to enter all the connection settings again on the router, it won't automatically connect!

Ok but how do I enter the settings when I don't have internet connection on the router.

Ok but how do I enter the settings when I don't have internet connection on the router.

You don't need an Internet connection to connect to the router!

You can plug a lan cable directly into the router or connect to the default Netgear ssid, the default password will be on the bottom of the router more than likely!

When your connected by either method then enter 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 depending on how the router is set up. The username and password will be the defaults again, usually admin with password on a Netgear!

Then, set it up with the correct Eir settings and away you go!

I'm not sure what you are trying to do with that whole static IP address but that is a separate topic!

You don't need an Internet connection to connect to the router!

You can plug a lan cable directly into the router or connect to the default Netgear ssid, the default password will be on the bottom of the router more than likely!

When your connected by either method then enter 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 depending on how the router is set up. The username and password will be the defaults again, usually admin with password on a Netgear!

Then, set it up with the correct Eir settings and away you go!

I'm not sure what you are trying to do with that whole static IP address but that is a separate topic!

Oh yeah it worked this time I have internet with the Netgear router again, thanks very much. Do you know what channel I should use for the N or 5ghz SSID because my router is upstairs and my phone can't pick it up from downstairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Oh yeah it worked this time I have internet with the Netgear router again, thanks very much. Do you know what channel I should use for the N or 5ghz SSID because my router is upstairs and my phone can't pick it up from downstairs.

5Ghz is fast but doesnt go very far, your 2.4Ghz is slower and better for range.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

This link might be of assistance to anyone trying similar:

http://support.eir.ie/article/netgearconfig

Yeah the 5ghz doesn't really work at all when the router is downstairs but when on the 2.4ghz the wifi is constantly cutting out.

Advertisement