Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby clothes ruined from solids

Options
  • 14-02-2016 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good washing powder/liquid for cleaning baby clothes. Since we started in solids any light coloured clothing still has the stains from food on it, especially from carrots or tomato based dishes. I've tried Ariel and Fairy but no joy yet. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

In terms of stain removers I've found that the best one is actually washing up liquid. I've been able to remove stain from carrots, squash, tomatoes, ahem, explosive nappies, without a trace.

Just wet or dampen the stained area and rub a little bit of washing up liquid into the stain until it foams up and then into the washing machine. It even works well on dried in stains.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,211 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Best solution - a long sleeve bib to pop over clothing!

Stains are harder to get out when they have been washed. Ace bleach is pretty good, it isn't bleach in the normal sense and you can pour it directly onto stains before washing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm not giving my kids beetroot till they're 16

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

To this day my mother hates to see me coming in pale colours because I was a mucky kid.

I'm 41...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

my solution is 2euro tops from penneys. a tenner buys you 5. I don't care how soiled they get or that stains don't wash out.
    I won't be buying him expensive branded clothing until he understands what's all that about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

my solution is 2euro tops from penneys. a tenner buys you 5. I don't care how soiled they get or that stains don't wash out.
    I won't be buying him expensive branded clothing until he understands what's all that about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Biological powder - pre wash & lash on all the extra wash buttons. Which.co.uk say that the Lidl "Formil' Bio powder is one of the best out there, and I can't disagree. Never have food stains on clothes after washing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I use Nappisan and throw some vests out.
    I am limited to what washing powders I can use but Surf is great or the Purple Lidl one.
    Mostly I use an Eco egg but it doesn't deal with poo stains.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I use Nappisan and throw some vests out.
    I am limited to what washing powders I can use but Surf is great or the Purple Lidl one.
    Mostly I use an Eco egg but it doesn't deal with poo stains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I haven't had a whole lot of success with washing detergents but drying clothes in as much sunlight as possible is a definite winner. Fades tomato and curry stains really well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'm not giving my kids beetroot till they're 16

Nappy only!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Prevention is better than cure.

Bibs!
    We use these Ikea ones, great for painting too.

kladd-prickar-bib__0105547_PE252951_S4.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Long sleeved bibs are the only thing. Also be aware that pear and banana stains badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

i use the long sleeve bibs too only thing that works or else i put a long apron of mine on her then one of the plastic bibs with the lip to catch the food over it

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

pwurple wrote: »
    Prevention is better than cure.

Bibs!
    We use these Ikea ones, great for painting too.

kladd-prickar-bib__0105547_PE252951_S4.JPG

Think I'll take a trip to ikea this week! Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I actually don't like the Ikea ones.They don't seem to be liquid or grease proof....found that butter etc soaked through the bib, couldn't get it out and any liquid food just soaked through too.Also found that the neckline tended to sag, allowing food under the chin down onto the neck of the clothes.
    So far, the ones I've kept coming back to are plastic mothercare ones, both ordinary bibs and overall type ones.They're the best for us.I used to also put a cloth bib under them if there was tomato or whatever in the food.That way any food that worked its way down hit the cloth bib first, not the clothes.Sounds like overkill but like all things with kids, it was only for a short while.
    Unfortunately though some clothes were just written off.Unavoidable.

Advertisement