Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small free windows web server?

Options
  • 13-02-2016 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

So I have been looking at various small servers to run on a remote box and present some webpages I have on there generated by various tools

My needs
    * Static pages, nothing dynamic at all
    * Must run as a windows service from get-go, I don't want to bother with SrvAny or similar (I am using nssm with nginx to get it as a service).
    * Free

Have been running NGINX but can't get the windows service to work (without nssm) and may as well look at other small servers.

Just wanted to pick your brains about what's "best" :)
    Today I've been contemplating
    Tiny Server
    lighttpd
    mongoose

All computers on network are already behind a FW so no need for any particular security

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Any particular reason you're skipping over IIS?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well, I find it too big/cumbersome and I just don't like it very much (not a great reason I know)
    I did have Apache 2.2 for a while but also that was too big for my needs.
    I suppose I just want to run a minuscule hasslefree windows server.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

how about node.js and express

code is as simple as:
    var express = require('express');
    var app = express();
    app.configure(function () {
        app.use(
            "/", //the URL throught which you want to access to you static content
            express.static(__dirname) //where your static content is located in your filesystem
        );
    });
    app.listen(3000); //the port you want to use

This site runs using node.js and express http://www.plezica.com/

Thanks, in order to run node.js as a windows service, don't I need to use nssm again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I just took a look at the Windows docs on Nginx and it doesn't support what makes Nginx worth using. It's weird though, some things on their roadmap for Windows (i.e. using IO Completion ports instead of this ****ty Windows version of select is in their Git repo. I've just never built it on Windows.

What about using Hyper-V and a small Linux VM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,086 ✭✭✭Talisman

biko wrote: »
    Thanks, in order to run node.js as a windows service, don't I need to use nssm again?
    The os-service package allows you to run Node.js applications as a service.

Thanks but if the server requires several steps to set up I might as well stick with ngix with nssm.
    It already works the way I like, but it feels unstable at times (sometimes it won't start up after server reboot). I'm thinking if it's windows native it'll run smoothly.

* Windows
    * Must run as a windows service from start
    * Not IIS
    * Free

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Abyss

That looks perfect on paper, thanks! I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

• Advertisement

Abyss is perfect for my needs. Free and installs easy (even does the windows service option on install) and easy to config.

Advertisement