Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 SanFrancisco (merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MarieAsh

I think the best place to stay if you want to fall in with people is Baerkely to be honest. It's where the majority of students stay and the frat houses are so cheap for the whole summer. How did you manage to get your job in golden gate park? I'm having severely bad luck job hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 4 omaghboy

I thought that but it looks like it'll be a real hassle travelling to work. I've booked through USIT so I went to the jobs fair in Dublin last week and they went through a list of jobs with me and just give me this one

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Group of us heading to San Fran too, have you started looking at accommodation yet?

Yeah I've been looking on Craigslist mostly but can literally find nothing. What about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Firenze2016

Hey. 21 year old girl here wanting to go on a J1 this summer. However, a few minor setbacks.. my friends are no longer going.

Luckily we hadn't booked anything etc but I still want to go so am thinking of applying and going on my own. Just wondering are there many more in my position?

San Fran or somewhere in CA would be my ideal destination but because I'm applying late etc and alone I am open to going anywhere really.

Also just wondering what's the job hunting situation like? I'll be booking through USIT and see they have a job fair in mid April. Just wondering does z know how these work? Do we apply for the job prior to the fair and then get interviewed or is it just walk in and get interviewed on the day!?

Thanks

• Advertisement

I'm in a similar position. I had originally planned to go with my friends but they all backed out on me. I went to the usit fair in February and had an interview booked for a job in Boston but didn't get it. So they sat me down and went through a list of jobs all over the place and I took one in San Francisco. You can go to it without an interview booked but you're better off to book one to make sure you get seen

Anyone started looking at accommodation? Its meant to be hard to get somewhere until you're actually out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 j1loner

im also a 21 year old girl probably going to go on my own has anybody had any luck with accomodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EquineHannah

We're 3 Donegal girls heading to San Fran for the summer, we all have jobs but nowhere to live. Finding the house hunt very difficult, everything is ridiculously expensive!
    Hoping to get Berkeley but again were told it's too early just yet for advertisement. Just wondering if anyone have any ideas on accommodation?

We're 3 Donegal girls heading to San Fran for the summer, we all have jobs but nowhere to live. Finding the house hunt very difficult, everything is ridiculously expensive!
    Hoping to get Berkeley but again were told it's too early just yet for advertisement. Just wondering if anyone have any ideas on accommodation?

In the same boat as yourself, finding it hard to find anything that isnt expensive! Apparently its hard to get somewhere unless you're out there too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 xxxribenagirlxx

Hey. 21 year old girl here wanting to go on a J1 this summer. However, a few minor setbacks.. my friends are no longer going.

Luckily we hadn't booked anything etc but I still want to go so am thinking of applying and going on my own. Just wondering are there many more in my position?

San Fran or somewhere in CA would be my ideal destination but because I'm applying late etc and alone I am open to going anywhere really.

Also just wondering what's the job hunting situation like? I'll be booking through USIT and see they have a job fair in mid April. Just wondering does z know how these work? Do we apply for the job prior to the fair and then get interviewed or is it just walk in and get interviewed on the day!?

Thanks

I'm in the same situation, my friends decided they didn't wanna do it this year but I'm still going

• Registered Users Posts: 5 xxxribenagirlxx

21 year old girl travelling to SF for a J1 on my own. I was hoping to link up with some Irish people who are looking for an extra person to make accomodation cheaper. I'm flexible with location as long as it's in the Bay Area.

Or does anyone know a cheap way of getting accomodation on your own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smncaux

22 year old student travelling to San Francisco alone. Doing an internship in the city for the summer. Hoping to link up with people to share accommodation.
    Anyone have any information or know any places I could link up with Irish students while I'm over there?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hooter17

Hi there,
    Looking at heading to SF on the graduate visa for the year May/June! Said I'd start this thread if anyones heading San Fran on j1's or grad visas to help with accomodation and jobs. I will be going on my own so if there is anyone in the same boat let me know!
    Also if anyone has any tips for San Fran please post them up here! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 13 notprivy

Hey. Thinking of heading to San Fran on graduate visa in April/May. Have you heard what accommodation is like getting over there? that's our main worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BigBagOfYurt

So I booked the early bird package with USIT to head over to San Francisco at the end of May and I am required to find my own job before the 31st of January, anyone have any tips on how to find a job 5 months in advance? I've emailed almost every Irish Bar and Restaurant along with most of the restaurants on PIER 39, Still no luck and time is running out..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Seshkiid

So I booked the early bird package with USIT to head over to San Francisco at the end of May and I am required to find my own job before the 31st of January, anyone have any tips on how to find a job 5 months in advance? I've emailed almost every Irish Bar and Restaurant along with most of the restaurants on PIER 39, Still no luck and time is running out..

Hey,
    I'm also doing a J1 to San Fran too and I've had absolutely no luck whatsoever. I've tried contacting the San Fran Irish pastoral council flout I've had no luck with that either. When is the date that we have to have a job for with USIT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 molly62

I'm heading to San Fran for the summer. Looking for any advice/experiences that people might have? I'm currently applying for a job over there as I have to have one secured by the end of Feb.(Which is proving to be difficult!!) Also, with accommodation, how did people go about looking for housing? Would you advise to live in Berkeley or pay the extra dolla bills to live in San Fran?

Anything is greatly appreciated!! Go raibh mile x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

Are you going over alone or with a big group? What are you hoping to do for the summer? It's a few years since I went but we stayed in Berkely and while it was great fun, it was basically a town full of Irish people on the piss each night and you didn't really get to blend in with the americans. It might be what you're after, especially with a big group but if I was doing it again I'd stay elsewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement