Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of registration for 5 yr old to GAA??

Options
  • 12-02-2016 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭

Just off the phone from my brother in law,his local (Rural) GAA club having yearly registration morning tomorrow for juvenile players.His 5 year old came home with info sheet from school about it today(handed out by local club).

He got a shock when he saw cost for yr for all kids from 5 to 10 yrs of age is 50 euro each.
    Fair enough that covers insurance and equipment costs and pitch maintenance as outlined in handout but he thought it sounded exorbitant for a 5 yr old who will just be attending nursery training sessions on a Sat am.
    Have to say I think it sounds high too?

Out of interest what are reg costs around the country for young kids?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is registration really necessary?
    My boy of 6 has been going once a week to his local GAA club for nearly 2 years now, and its €2 per visit.

I was never asked to register him in the club or pay a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Tell him he is lucky. Nearest 2 clubs to me - Academy member ship €100 and €160 (that includes the mandatory accompanying parent ).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is registration really necessary?
    My boy of 6 has been going once a week to his local GAA club for nearly 2 years now, and its €2 per visit.

I was never asked to register him in the club or pay a fee.

Doubt your boy is going 52 weeks a year but if he was that would be 104 euro a year!!!:)

Have to reg for the yr seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Just off the phone from my brother in law,his local (Rural) GAA club having yearly registration morning tomorrow for juvenile players.His 5 year old came home with info sheet from school about it today(handed out by local club).

He got a shock when he saw cost for yr for all kids from 5 to 10 yrs of age is 50 euro each.
    Fair enough that covers insurance and equipment costs and pitch maintenance as outlined in handout but he thought it sounded exorbitant for a 5 yr old who will just be attending nursery training sessions on a Sat am.

It varies from club to club. Our registration is 20 per child and 50 if 3 or more. We are very rural. It had been 10 for last 5 years at least. Our sister club for hurling is 5 for an under 6. 20 up to u16 and 35 for family. The rugby club my lad goes to is 50 quid alright

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Doubt your boy is going 52 weeks a year but if he was that would be 104 euro a year!!!:)

Have to reg for the yr seemingly.

No he wouldn't be going 52wks to be fair, maybe 40 or so? Not sure.

So are you saying that if you pay the €50 that would cover you for the year, no weekly fee on top of it? In which case, its a good price.

But knowing the GAA, I'm guessing theres a weekly cost too on top of registration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

NIMAN wrote: »
    No he wouldn't be going 52wks to be fair, maybe 40 or so? Not sure.

So are you saying that if you pay the €50 that would cover you for the year, no weekly fee on top of it? In which case, its a good price.

But knowing the GAA, I'm guessing theres a weekly cost too on top of registration.

Tbh I don't know,Tis the bro in laws child,think the 50 covers all.....
    Imo it's a lot to ask to fork out for a 5 yr old though....when I was playing adult GAA,reg for yr was about 40 euro for earning members in club,hung up boots about 4 yrs ago.

I don't know much (anything) about GAA, but does €50 for a year (presumably once a week, excluding bank holidays etc?) not seem quite cheap, rather than expensive? :confused:

€1 per visit? I presume there are invariably other charges aswell (ie; if he's actually any good and wants to play on a team or such they'd charge you for jerseys or that kinda craic?).

As I say I've no knowledge of it, and as a parent I'm sure it's just one of many bills you get with your kids and every cent counts, but that sounds, to me personally, like fairly good value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Its not bad, maybe a little over the average. Even though I have many issues with the GAA Ive found their fees to be favorable in comparison to soccer or rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Sounds about standard. The club don't keep all that fee, they pay money to the gaa for each player registered. It's a good idea to be registered in case there was ever an accident or injury, makes it more straight forward if there was any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

For my 5 year old it's €35 for the year with no weekly fee. Pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Does the €50 include a hurl and helmet or is it just registration??
    My club is €20 for registration and €30 for a Mycro helmet and €10 for a hurl.
    As previous posters said 50 is still cheap considering the amount of training sessions the child will get

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

€100 for u-7 (2009) and €200 for juveniles. Large club with over 100 u-7's attending every Saturday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

I think €50 is very little
    You'd spend that on a night out to the cinema
    These clubs cost a fortune to run

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

As secretary of a rural club, I can tell you that IMO - 50 for a child attending a nursery program is a little excessive. Our club would run the nursery scheme and charge 5 registration plus 2 euro rental fee for either astro/gym facilities each evening. From that 5 per child, this year we purchased t-shirts and hats for all kids which was presented on last night.
    From under 8 to 12 we charge 30 per child, and 35 per child from 14 to 18 with family membership at 80. This goes into club affiliation fees to the county board, buying the equipment for training sessions, paying for coaches to have a minimum of a foundation course behind them, Jersey cleaning, and of course insurance.

It really annoys me when someone like an earlier poster insinuates that at club level we're a 'Grab All Association'. Before you throw out a ridiculous, uneducated comment maybe have a look and see what costs the local clubs have per year.
    Ours is run rather well, and through membership and fundraising we tick over year on year. Last year we spent almost 4 grand on kitting out the entire underage groups (18 to 8s) in club tops to give them a sense of identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Necrominus wrote:
    As secretary of a rural club, I can tell you that IMO - 50 for a child attending a nursery program is a little excessive. Our club would run the nursery scheme and charge 5 registration plus 2 euro rental fee for either astro/gym facilities each evening. From that 5 per child, this year we purchased t-shirts and hats for all kids which was presented on last night. From under 8 to 12 we charge 30 per child, and 35 per child from 14 to 18 with family membership at 80. This goes into club affiliation fees to the county board, buying the equipment for training sessions, paying for coaches to have a minimum of a foundation course behind them, Jersey cleaning, and of course insurance.

I can't see how anyone thinks 50 is expensive, between coach training, electricity, insurance etc etc I'm sure the costs add up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

€20 in our small rural club

But €50 if they are getting a well run structured coaching sessions is worth it imho.

Soccer clubs can charge over €100 for 8 year olds.
    Rugby the same + buying club Jersey.

Clubs can charge if they have a good product.

Advertisement