Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can you tell what's wrong with my car by spark plugs?

Options
  • 12-02-2016 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi.

Serviced my car today and when changing the plugs, I really didn't the look of the old ones. They are really badly soiled.

The car is consuming some oil (still within manufacturers specs), but I would expect the plugs to be black when there's excessive oil burning happening.

The plugs are white. Almost like a limescale. Not a drop of coolant has been lost in last year and a half.

The car in question is 07 Lexus GS300. 214k km. Was used for longish runs every day until recently. Even now it gets to full operating temp every day and gets regular spins on the motorway.

All 6 plugs are the same.

Please see the pics attached.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,705 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How long in miles/km are they in the car? Are they irridium or standard plugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭B00056718

How long in miles/km are they in the car? Are they irridium or standard plugs?

They have around 40k km behind them and they are OEM Denso Irridium. Done by main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Looks like deposits from using poor fuel or burning stuf it's not ment to burn.

kona wrote: »
    Looks like deposits from using poor fuel or burning stuf it's not ment to burn.

Never used any additives. Mainly fill up in Maxol or Texaco. Sometimes in Topaz or Applegreen but very seldom.

Also. Sometimes under load, I can hear the engine pinking when I open my window but I read that on some cars it's ok. Especially in hot weather. Still. I don't like it.

M

B00056718 wrote: »
    They have around 40k km behind them and they are OEM Denso Irridium. Done by main dealer.

Is there a chance the dealer never changed them?

• Advertisement

Is there a chance the dealer never changed them?

I was thinking the same. The tips of the centre electrodes seem to be gone. Can't see it happening in 40k miles. It still doesn't explain the limescale stuff on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

B00056718 wrote: »
    Never used any additives. Mainly fill up in Maxol or Texaco. Sometimes in Topaz or Applegreen but very seldom.

Also. Sometimes under load, I can hear the engine pinking when I open my window but I read that on some cars it's ok. Especially in hot weather. Still. I don't like it.

Detonation is a sign of crap fuel, but tbh nobody other than a lab could tell you exactley what is up with those deposits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

A lot of these charts show the same thing, but only generalised causes.

Plugchopku4.jpg

check_spark_plug_condition.jpg

spark_plugs_diagnosis.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

That looks like it's from burning oil.

Replace them with standard plugs and just change them more often.
    There's not much point putting in plugs that'll do 60k miles if they're just getting gunked up like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Signs of oil, and/or they might just have never been changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,296 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I've never seen wear like that on iridium plugs after that number of miles.
    Either they were not the right plugs or they were not changed imo.
    With the kind of gap present there you will have issues anyway so new plugs might be a full cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

That's oil burning. Not a lot, I wouldn't worry about the engine unless you actually see blue smoke..
    Couple of reasons (not accusations)

1: Going too long on cheap oil. The 30,000 km service interval is a lie. Especially in diesel, less so on petrol. By all means have the service intervals ever 30, but change the oil itself every 15..

2: Burning petrol retrieved from a diesel car. If you work in a garage, you will remove petrol from customers diesel cars almost once a fortnight. A full tank of "destroyed" fuel - that still lights at the sniff of a spark - that would otherwise cost 100 quid, is a pretty tempting thing.... The diesel is an oil and will present you with those plugs come service time. Trust me :o

3: Fuel additives can do this, though you've said you haven't used them.

4: You got charged for a set of plugs that didn't make it into your car..

M

Would be interesting to look at your new plugs after 3 months and again at 6 to see what they look like, if there's an issue it should start to cause similar damage on the new plugs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

I've not seen a set of iridium plugs look like that after even 160k (highest millage ive seen on a set in a civic) either they weren't changed when they said they were or you've got running issues. keep an eye on the new ones is the only way you'll tell

A quick update.

After installing brand new Iridium plugs, it was giving a random misfire.

Pulled all of the covers off to check if I left anything disconnected but nothing obvious. Was the first day off the fags so a little anxious. Went out on an open road and revved the car out to the limiter. Got some black smoke behind and the car is running grand for now.

Regarding 30000km service - i would never ever run any car for 30000km without oil change. Lexus gets Mobil 5w30 every 7000km.

I'll check the plugs after couple of months to see whats happening inside.

Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement