Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downton Abbey Actor Drink Driving Conviction

Options
  • 12-02-2016 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Brendan Coyle,the actor who played Bates on Downton Abbey, was convicted for a second time for drink driving recently in England. I've only watched the show sporadically over the years, so am therefore not a great fan of the it - however, I never saw the appeal of his character and the deference that was given to him seemed disingenuous. Many of the other characters were engaging and charismatic, but he always seemed surly and uninteresting. His appearances always seemed to drag down the scenes that he was in. Does anyone else think that, or was I missing something subtle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

If getting a tug from the cops was related to capacity to act - we would be missing most of the greatest actors / actresses of all time.

753f66e94794aee1b6dbba12c819d592.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I agree completely with you - Robert Mitchum was arrested for marijuana possession in 1949, and he thought then that his career was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Brendan Coyle,the actor who played Bates on Downton Abbey, was convicted for a second time for drink driving recently in England. I've only watched the show sporadically over the years, so am therefore not a great fan of the it - however, I never saw the appeal of his character and the deference that was given to him seemed disingenuous. Many of the other characters were engaging and charismatic, but he always seemed surly and uninteresting. His appearances always seemed to drag down the scenes that he was in. Does anyone else think that, or was I missing something subtle?

Just watched him playing a gangster in Spotless an Esquie network TV show, bit of a different take with him being into gardening and classical music. Enjoyed the show but he was a bit wooden

He was set-up by the county police on his marijuana charge. Edna O'Brien in her auto-bio said that he seduced her, at a party, by taking her by the hand, and said let's get out of here. They went to her cottage in London and he promised her the heaven - but she never heard from him again. The Night Of The Hunter is probably one of the greatest acting ( Mitchum ) and directorial (Laughton) events in film history.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What do Brendan Coyle's alcohol problems have to with his acting ability? Am I missing something?

The character he played on DA, was a quiet & introspective man, who had suffered a lot in his life. That generally came across in his scenes. He was never meant to be the handsome, charismatic heart throb. That was Cousins Matthews job. As BC was in the show right up to the end, I presume the producers were happy enough with his performances.

But what any of that has to do with his personal life, I have no idea. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Me neither - I agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What do Brendan Coyle's alcohol problems have to with his acting ability? Am I missing something?

The character he played on DA, was a quiet & introspective man, who had suffered a lot in his life. That generally came across in his scenes. He was never meant to be the handsome, charismatic heart throb. That was Cousins Matthews job. As BC was in the show right up to the end, I presume the producers were happy enough with his performances.

But what any of that has to do with his personal life, I have no idea. :rolleyes:

Exactly - the brief for the role would have been "quiet, brooding and kind yet with a hint of great violence beneath". 10/10 on displaying that.

You are right too. floating. I entirely agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Me neither - I agree with you

So why did you start the thread then? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

ProudDUB wrote: »
    So why did you start the thread then? :confused:

Makes no sense to start a thread, drawing a link between an actors conviction and his acting ability and then agreeing that there isn't a link.

I liked Coyle in DA, the proud man suffering, but they did last the misery on a bit thick in the final few seasons.
    He was great in Larkrise to Candleford, Paths to Freedom and the recent movie Noble.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Alcohol is such a curse for some people. A devious master that hides himself in pleasure. :(

Ok. Ok. I get it. I stand chastised. Is it alright to say that you don't like and actor's portrayal? What is so sacrosanct about actors? I just didn't like his character in Downton - and he stupidly drove his car when he was over the limit. I don't like Mel Gibson's behaviour either. Perhaps my preamble into my remarks was a bit of a non sequitur. I had only read about the conviction then and "thought what a plonker", and decided to express my opinion about his portrayal of Bates. I've watched Downton perhaps, 5 or 6 times ever - my family loved it and wouldn't miss it. I know that alcoholism is a terrible condition and sincerely hope that he can overcome his addiction and stay well.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Coyle was fine in the role, in fact in the first season he was a big part of what drew me into the story. However unlike that first season, subsequent seasons were poorly written and Mr Bates' storylines were the most poorly written of all. There isn't much that an actor can do to elevate boring, repetitive, dour writing and that's all he had to work with for the most part as year after year either he or his wife were wrongly accused and jailed for murder, or suffered through violent rape and repeated pregnancy loss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

spurious wrote: »
    Alcohol is such a curse for some people. A devious master that hides himself in pleasure. :(

A devious master that hides himself in pleasure....
    Reminds me of a girlfriend I once had! :D

That "Devious Master" quote - very poetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Probably my favourite character in DA after Tom. It was his performance in the first episode that made me want to keep with the show. Sad he has drink issues hopefully he can sort himself out, i wish him luck

Advertisement