Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fig planting, how much root space

Options
  • 12-02-2016 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I'm planting a small fig plant against my south facing wall. The wall is about 10ft tall. I've read that the roots need to be restricted to fruit. My question is, for a largish fig tree, how large/small a space should I create for the roots.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

I have no idea but we have one in the polytunnel planted directly into the ground and it fruited twice last summer. But its too big now and I need to move it Im debating whether to move it within the tunnel or put it I a large container outside...any suggestions?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Since I posted this thread, I talked to a guy in a garden center. He recommended planting it in a 15inch pot in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Donalde

I planted a fig about 20 years ago in the glasshouse, inside an oil-drum (50 gallon), set in the ground. it has fruited continuously. The oil-drum has rotted away over the years and the roots, which, like the upper growth. are very vigourous, have escaped. I dig out those near the surface annually, with no apparent effect on the upper growth. Highly recommended for a great crop over a long part of the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

I need to move mine and plan on pruning it back first, would this be the right thing to do. I planned on getting it done over winter but didn't get around to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've seen photos of them planted in old washing machine drums. may not be to your liking aesthetically though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

i've seen photos of them planted in old washing machine drums. may not be to your liking aesthetically though...

Great idea! Buried under the ground a couple of inches you'd never see it

Advertisement