Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re Waterproofing

Options
  • 12-02-2016 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi Folks, I washed my waterproof bottoms recently and they seem to have lost their quality. I've heard that there are ways of re waterproofing them to bring them back again. Has anyone done this before that can help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭delboykelly

Are they goretex? I did mine. You can wash them and then by drying them in the tumble dryer you reactivate the waterproofing. If you don't have a tumble dryer use an iron but mind the places where there is writing, you'll melt it. I bought the NixWax stuff too but haven't used it yet. Same process but you use the NikWax in the wash machine and it improves the waterproofness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Have a goretex jacket that has instructions about reactivation after washing.

Will take a look when I get home from work this evening & post up the instructions it lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Did use nikwax TX.Direct wash in on non gortex raingear and it did the trick.

Use on a cross and sunderland set of raingear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Are they goretex? I did mine. You can wash them and then by drying them in the tumble dryer you reactivate the waterproofing. If you don't have a tumble dryer use an iron but mind the places where there is writing, you'll melt it. I bought the NixWax stuff too but haven't used it yet. Same process but you use the NikWax in the wash machine and it improves the waterproofness.

I have some GG gear and it gets washed around now, just the one a year and it's imperative it goes for a heated tumble dry to reactivate the waterproofing

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

So according to my gear...

Machine wash at 40

Rinse twice

Do not use powder detergent, fabric softener or bleach

Line/tumble dry

Once dry tumble dry for 20 mins more to reactivate water repellent

• Advertisement
Advertisement