Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing standard light switch with dimmer

Options
  • 11-02-2016 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering if this is a straightforward swap?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It is, as long as you don't have LED lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

Steve wrote: »
    It is, as long as you don't have LED lights.
    But sure more are dimmable nowadays than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

First electrical job I ever did, as a student renter of 19. Just make sure you turn off the power to the socket while you work, and test to make sure there is in fact no current to the outlet. I've seen some wiring jobs that would make you wonder why the place didn't burn down with the electrician still inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,359 ✭✭✭✭ted1

dodzy wrote: »
    But sure more are dimmable nowadays than not.

But they need to be trailing edge dinners for LED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BlibBlab

So do I need to buy special bulbs for the dimmer? Do the energy saver bulbs tend to buzz with dimmer switches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,568 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

BlibBlab wrote: »
    So do I need to buy special bulbs for the dimmer? Do the energy saver bulbs tend to buzz with dimmer switches?

Energy saving CFL bulbs won't work with them, not sure if any do, I think possibly only the standard old style work with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Hi,
    Just wondering if this is a straightforward swap?
    Thanks.

Probably not! If the original switch has been in place for decades the new screws probably won't pinch up, the original box could be 16mm, and nailed to the wall with a spitgun, so the bigger back on the dim switch won't fit in and you'll have to smash the back box out to replace it.

Sounds cynical, but if there's one job I hate, it's fitting dimmer switches. Should take 5mins, almost always takes half an hour & a trip to the wholesalers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,359 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Energy saver bulbs aren't really a thing, some bulbs have it written on them but they may still by just halogens or CFLs. Be sure to get LED, no they don't buzz. If your in Dublin IKEA have a great range or look up light rabbit or led vista both online shops

• Registered Users Posts: 3 3Js

Hi,

Can I use one dimmer switch with 6 basic downlights in a room (like the ones Screwfix sell as a trade pack of 10 with bulbs included), do the bulbs need to be LED or can I use the older type 35 watt bulbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

When I had my dimmed incandescent bulbs replaced with dimmed LEDs I found the LEDs were too bright on the lowest setting. This was particularly an issue in a hallway where I just wanted enough light not to fall on my arse at night time.

So try and get the output right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement