Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaa/springsteen

Options
  • 11-02-2016 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭

springsteen/gaa
    In recent days i have read that some small club in Longford were fined €2000 for holding an event on their sacred grounds.

There are few concerts going on at Croker this summer which is great.
    To me this seems a bit of one law for the peasants and another for us.

What does thew forum think?

i posted this earlier but i was told by "the boss" i was in the wrong place.

lordgoat
    white_star_4.gif

Adverts | Friends
    Mod: Alternative & Indie, Gigs & Events

Sorry man, not letting this happen here.

Maybe try it in GAA as suggested, but here is for debate about the gig itself, with some leeway.

I am fallowing the advise as i was not aware there different moderators...

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,850 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres a rule, in the rule book no less, that clearly states that grounds are to be used for Gaelic Games.
    All property including grounds, Club Houses, Halls,
    Dressing Rooms and Handball Alleys owned or
    controlled by units of the Association shall be used
    only for the purpose of or in connection with the
    playing of the Games controlled by the Association,
    and for such other purposes not in conflict with
    the Aims and Objects of the Association, that may
    be sanctioned from time to time by the Central
    Council
    See http://www.gaa.ie/mm/Document/TheGAA/RulesandRegulations/12/19/54/2015OfficialGuide-Part1_English.pdf section 5.1

The Longford club clearly broke the rule, and admitted it, so got fined. Many are getting humped as other clubs are breaching the rules and getting away with it, but seriously thats like saying I shouldnt get a speeding fine for blatant speeding because my mate was speeding the other day and wasnt caught.

Bruce Springsteen concerts cannot be seen to be something to be in conflict with the aims of the association, I wouldnt think, so it is grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

theres a rule, in the rule book no less, that clearly states that grounds are to be used for Gaelic Games.

See http://www.gaa.ie/mm/Document/TheGAA/RulesandRegulations/12/19/54/2015OfficialGuide-Part1_English.pdf section 5.1

The Longford club clearly broke the rule, and admitted it, so got fined. Many are getting humped as other clubs are breaching the rules and getting away with it, but seriously thats like saying I shouldnt get a speeding fine for blatant speeding because my mate was speeding the other day and wasnt caught.

Bruce Springsteen concerts cannot be seen to be something to be in conflict with the aims of the association, I wouldnt think, so it is grand
    clubs up and down the country have soccer on their astro turf facilities every evening of the week - to help pay off the debts on facilities and generate operating cash
    why did they pick on a small club in Longford?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

It still baffles me when the GAA do something like this. Croke Park has held several American Football games recently and even Páirc Tailteann held a Canadian and American Football double header a few years back. A good few clubs in Meath (and elsewhere no doubt) are holding Cheltenham preview nights soon and do so annually. The GAA say nothing about these (nor should they) but when it's the dreaded soccer and/or rugby, they come down hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

There is another one with-in the insurance document that states no concerts shall be allowed in any grounds that is what gets me about this. I have no problem with concerts in GAA grounds I have a problem with one rule for croker and a different one for clubs!!!!

Same as allowing circus on the grounds is not allowed yet in Carlow right beside Dr. Cullen Park is a giant circus at the moment. Same with the training grounds. On the weekend that there are blitz's on for go games they allow in the ice cream vans and hot dog vendors!!!! Mean while you've brought fruit for the team for after and between games and not a chance they will go for the healthier option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Any club in the country can apply to Croke Park to host anything,From a concert,To an Australian Rules game,American Football,Summer camps,Donkey derbies and so on,These requests are usually granted providing insurance is in order.

The only difference between Bruce Springsteen concerts & Jaime Carragher summer camps is that they never requested permission from Croker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Any club in the country can apply to Croke Park to host anything,From a concert,To an Australian Rules game,American Football,Summer camps,Donkey derbies and so on,These requests are usually granted providing insurance is in order.

The only difference between Bruce Springsteen concerts & Jaime Carragher summer camps is that they never requested permission from Croker.

Yep. That's what I heard too. Some people are far too quick to put the boot into the 'Grab All Association' for being soccer hating hypocrites, stuck in the 1950's or something, but it's not like that. There is a procedure to follow. If you follow it, you'll be fine. If you don't, odds are you won't be.

There is a large club near me & it's astro turf pitch is regularly used by 5 a side soccer teams. No one bats an eyelid. That being said, the fine seemed a bit stiff, for such a small club. A lot of volunteers hard work goes into raising 2000 euros. It's a shame to see it get pissed away like this. Perhaps a smack on the wrist and a warning to get their affairs in order, would have been the better way to handle it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I only asked this as i thought it was wrong to punish little club.
    What i have noticed is there are rules which i totally agree with as long as its consistent.
    Rules are the same for everyone...
    I know of loads of community facilities where Croke Park events take place on a regular basis so i am assuming on the basis of replies to this they also ask permission for each individual event..

Jamie Carragher considers paying Dromard's €2,000 GAA fine.

Read this on the indo, it likely be against another rule, if this happens the gaa will be laughing stocks but we see..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Concerts should not shift previously set fixtures, as is the case here. The hurling/football double-header for Sunday the 29th of May has been moved to 8 days earlier. That should not happen. Our games should take priority. There are free weekends in Croke Park early in the summer, but that wasn't one of them. If an artist can't perform on dates that avoid the disruption of fixtures, then the GAA shouldn't deal with them. The GAA needs to get its priorities right. Is Croke Park a sports venue that hosts concerts, or a concert venue that hosts sports?

As for American football, those games should be put on in October. Every second year we have the International Rules matches then. In the free years they could have the American Football matches. That would avoid the situation we had with the Mayo v Kerry replay being moved to Limerick in 2014. If having a match in Ireland in October doesn't suit the NFL, then don't have them in Croke Park at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

Flukey wrote: »
    Concerts should not shift previously set fixtures, as is the case here. The hurling/football double-header for Sunday the 29th of May has been moved to 8 days earlier. That should not happen. Our games should take priority. There are free weekends in Croke Park early in the summer, but that wasn't one of them. If an artist can't perform on dates that avoid the disruption of fixtures, then the GAA shouldn't deal with them. The GAA needs to get its priorities right. Is Croke Park a sports venue that hosts concerts, or a concert venue that hosts sports?

As for American football, those games should be put on in October. Every second year we have the International Rules matches then. In the free years they could have the American Football matches. That would avoid the situation we had with the Mayo v Kerry replay being moved to Limerick in 2014. If having a match in Ireland in October doesn't suit the NFL, then don't have them in Croke Park at all.

While I agree that the proposed double header shouldn't have been moved you're contradicting yourself here with the reference to the Mayo Kerry replay. In your first paragraph you say there are free weekends early in the summer and then you go on to criticise the GAA for using a free weekend in August. What if the games on May 29th finished level?

And the American football was nothing to do with the NFL. Two college teams

• Advertisement

I had forgot about this..
    I wonder was the fine ever paid?
    I am thinking probably not as gaa be too embarrassed to have it paid by the former soccer player so best option is pretend it never happened...

Advertisement