Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Ferries Epsilon Extensive Damage on Car Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That camper would need to be checked for damp I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Irish Ferries ship Epsilon sustained extensive damage to her cargo – estimated by an Afloat source at thousands of Euro

Thousands, wow, that much!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

This was posted on a trucking forum on the same topic.
    Re: Imogen v Epsilon
    Post by hiabhaulage Yesterday at 09:28

Had a truck refused boarding in Cherbourg on Sunday as he had a new yacht on for a customer. How lucky was that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I'm not sure how much this has changed, but my parents were on a ferry many years ago and it hit severe weather coming from France to Rosslare. The damage to their car wasn't as bad as most and around 30 cars were similar to the cars in that picture: completely written off. They were told that the ferry company had a maximum liability of only IR£100.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,409 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I would say the damage would leave little change of €1million, possibly more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Falcon L wrote: »
    I'm not sure how much this has changed, but my parents were on a ferry many years ago and it hit severe weather coming from France to Rosslare. The damage to their car wasn't as bad as most and around 30 cars were similar to the cars in that picture: completely written off. They were told that the ferry company had a maximum liability of only IR£100.

EU rules since would set far higher limits

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

On the afloat.ie page, most of the photos seem to be gone. There were previously 16 photos showing the extent of the damage now there's just one. The seriousness of the damage and injuries are being downplayed.

M

They have notified the Italians where the ship is registered of cracks in one of the lifeboats, no sailing until tomorrow...
    Tonight the vessel was told by authorities in Holyhead that it could not sail as scheduled after it was discovered that one of the lifeboats on board was damaged.

The company says it discovered a crack on one of the lifeboats on board tonight before it was due to sail.

It informed the Italian authorities as the Epsilon is registered in Italy and the Holyhead authorities.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0211/767303-irish-ferries/

• Registered Users Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

On the afloat.ie page, most of the photos seem to be gone. There were previously 16 photos showing the extent of the damage now there's just one. The seriousness of the damage and injuries are being downplayed.

Who said there were injuries?
    Not sure why original images went, here are some photo the journal have
    ?height=528

?width=500

?height=528

?height=528

?height=528

?width=605

?height=528

I know people on the boat, a mans head was split with a big 6 inch gash after being thrown across the deck by the motion of the boat, him and others went to hospital afterwards. A doctor was brought onboard with an Irish ferries solicitor as soon as the boat landed in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Why did this ship even sail? I saw the Met.ie forecast for that period and "phenomenal seas" were forecast for that region - why would it have sailed at all? Surely when the sea state goes beyond "high" or "very high" the sailing should automatically be delayed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

PauloMN wrote: »
    Why did this ship even sail? I saw the Met.ie forecast for that period and "phenomenal seas" were forecast for that region - why would it have sailed at all? Surely when the sea state goes beyond "high" or "very high" the sailing should automatically be delayed?

You would wonder was there a risk of capsize if all the freight shifted from side to side in one go?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Reminds me of the carnage on this crossing in New Zealand, must have been similar seas I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

PauloMN wrote: »
    There were 12m seas forcast for off the Cork coast last weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

It looks like the maximum compensation, according to the Athens Convention, is about €12,500 per vehicle, including luggage. Some of those cars look like they used to be worth more than that figure. :eek:

It looks like the maximum compensation, according to the Athens Convention, is about €12,500 per vehicle, including luggage. Some of those cars look like they used to be worth more than that figure. :eek:

I looked that up during the week. It does seem incredibly unfair considering the value of the cars/camper vans and their contents.

M

Makes some interesting reading, I always assumed the full value of a car would be covered in the case of damage or full loss. Is there a chance Irish Ferries would cover each owners costs as a gesture of good will?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/travel/liability_of_carriers_of_passengers_by_sea_in_the_eu.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Are these "conventions" legal and enforceable under EU law? There's the "Warsaw" one for aircraft. I suspect if you took a law suit againsr IF you would win or at least settled out of court.

As reported in the Irish Times, a former president of the of the Haulage association, Eoin Galvin, was apparently informed on Friday that Irish Ferries are not liable for the damage in his case. He lost a truck, trailer and all his freight. I don't know how it can be determined that Irish Ferries are not liable here?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

It'll be interesting to see the outcome of the claims against IF regarding their liability when the forecast was for a storm, also as I understand it the Stena Horizon took shelter along the south coast of England whereas IF ploughed on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'll bet the lawyer walked down the gangway before the doctor.

Unfortunately the regulation has been frequently tested internationally, those unfortunate folk will only get the limited amount back for their vehicles and cargo.

I don't know how it can be determined that Irish Ferries are not liable here?

Act of god I would assume.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'll bet the lawyer walked down the gangway before the doctor.

I think it was reported that an Irish Ferries solicitor was there to meet the ship on arrival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Id imagine IF liability is only limited if everything was stowed correctly.

Every Ferry has a ship specific Cargo Securing Manual approved by Flag State. This details the number and type of lashings to be used in various sea states as well as how and where various loads are to be stowed. Presumably IF will have to prove the cargo was stowed and lashed as per their CSM in order for their liability to be limited as per the convention

elastico wrote: »
    Act of god I would assume.

I understand that could be suggested, but the weather conditions were forecast and known about prior to departure. The storm was even being shown on sky news on the ferry before it left the dock.

I would consider an act of God as something unpredictable or unavoidable, for example a house receiving severe storm damage, where there's no means to move the house out of the way. However, the ferry was for some reason brought directly to a storm that was known about, when every other ship in the region avoided it or didn't sail. Somebody made that choice. It was completely avoidable, that's why I would protest that it doesn't fit with my interpretation of Act of God.

M

I suppose it will have to go through an Italian court if anyone wants compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

neris wrote: »

Mental stuff, probably the same moment that their trucks were being tossed about on the vehicle decks!

Love the way yer man is still having his mashed spuds or whatever, regardless of how badly the ship is being thrown about!

• Advertisement
Advertisement