Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into Accountancy

Options
  • 10-02-2016 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi all,

Please don't bite! This is my first post to this forum!

So, I'm considering doing a course in Accountancy; it's a subject area which interests me greatly and even, excites me. :eek: I have however no background in the area.

I am currently employed and will be looking to do an online/distance learning sort of course. I am an experienced account manager with a degree in Russian but I would like to take on a new challenge and due to a general interest in this field, I'm considering to do one of the ACCA courses.

Now, I have seen a course at Griffith College which interests me but I feel that i should seek information/advice from you here first as to whether such a course would be suitable for somebody with little knowledge of the subject area. I don't feel that the details online outlay the 'format' of learning. For instance, does one study module per module; how many modules would one study per year, how much time is spent on learning each module? I realise these may be questions for the college but thought that i'd throw them in there.

The course which I'm interested in is the e-learning version of this:

https://www.griffith.ie/faculties/professional-accountancy/courses/acca-association-chartered-certified-accountants

I appreciate any feedback/help.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭CassieManson

That's an ACCA course so that the colleges provide tuition but the exams are organised by ACCA. You should register with ACCA so that you can sit the exams. There are 4 exam sittings (March, June, September and December ) and you can decide how many modules to take per sitting. I would suggest starting slowly maybe take one or two papers to see how you like it. You should check out the ACCA website to get details of the qualification and then choose your tuition provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AnSliabhCorcra

That's an ACCA course so that the colleges provide tuition but the exams are organised by ACCA. You should register with ACCA so that you can sit the exams. There are 4 exam sittings (March, June, September and December ) and you can decide how many modules to take per sitting. I would suggest starting slowly maybe take one or two papers to see how you like it. You should check out the ACCA website to get details of the qualification and then choose your tuition provider.

Hi there,

Thanks for coming back to me. I appreciate it. I am thinking, giving that I have no background in Accountancy, to take a Diploma in Business and Accounting course which will also give me a waiver for F1, F2, F3. Do you think this is a recommendable course of action for somebody with no previous experience of accountancy?

Any feedback on how best to appraoch: ''getting into accountancy'' would be really appreciated.

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Hi there,

Thanks for coming back to me. I appreciate it. I am thinking, giving that I have no background in Accountancy, to take a Diploma in Business and Accounting course which will also give me a waiver for F1, F2, F3. Do you think this is a recommendable course of action for somebody with no previous experience of accountancy?

Any feedback on how best to appraoch: ''getting into accountancy'' would be really appreciated.

Look into the Acc Technician course. Its 2 yrs part time or full time and you get exemptions for the Chartered Acc exams afterwards.
    You also pick up a cert after 1 yr that will give you a leg up if looking into getting a job in Accounts ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Hi there,

The Diploma in Business and Accounting is an ACCA qualification. Essentially you complete the first three papers of the ACCA qualification. You can then decide whether to continue to the full ACCA qualification.

Advertisement