Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Drop Out

Options
  • 10-02-2016 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭

Is anybody else experiencing signal dropout this morning. At first I thought it was Newstalk but it's happening with RTE also. Lasts about 20 seconds every 3/4 minutes. I am in the south east area.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Yes all the RTE stations disappeared for about 30 seconds when I was in the car earlier today around the Navan area. Also Radio 1 was off for about 2 mins last night around midnight in the north east area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I listen to RTÉ Radio 1 on FM on a regular basis in the Cork City suburbs region and I have noticed drop-out being an issue from time to time. The most recent example was between 6:00-7:00pm this evening - I checked other stations and no issue was apparent with the others. I returned to RTÉ Radio 1 on FM but the reception signal kept coming and going and the drop out was so frequent that it spoiled the item I was trying to follow. If this was a small community station with little or no funds, I'd say something but one expects that the state's national public service broadcaster, RTÉ would ensure minimum standards where a station like RTÉ Radio 1 is concerned.

I've noticed this problem on Radio 1 during on other occasions too such as one particular morning time a few months ago when I was listening via another radio upstairs in the house and when I went to check other stations, they all seemed fine but Radio 1 was experiencing drop-out whereby it would be coming and going at regular intervals over a prolonged period of time. It's annoying and the only time I would make allowances is if the station makes reference to the occurrence and informs Joe Public that for those listening in a certain area to kindly retune temporarily via other methods due to ongoing technical problems/essential maintenance being carried out at present. Overall it seems to be an ongoing issue in the Cork City area.

I am not a sound/station engineer or technician myself but would technicians who work on our national radio transmitter network not have access to frequency signal strength reports nationwide that they would monitor and correct if and where major problems arise? If so, why would the same national radio station in the same area seem to have repeated incidents of drop-out be allowed to continue a few months later again in the same area. It makes me want to avoid RTÉ Radio 1 altogether!

Advertisement