Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are the first Irish news stories that you remember from your childhood?

• 09-02-2016 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in my twenties now and the main stories I can remember are Catherine/Tom Nevin,Veronica Guerin murder trials, John Gilligan being in the news and the Omagh bombing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Irish news stories you say.

That's a tricky one, trying to separate Irish news stories in my head from those that were not Irish!

Emm, when Vincent Hanley died maybe, or when Shergar was kidnapped, when Dana won the Eurovision, when the Pope came to Ireland, when the JFK was anchored in Dublin bay!

There's a few to be going on with :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Omagh bombing. Anne Cassin read the bulletin. I remember the white Opel in the middle of the debris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

General reportage of the troubles during the 80's. Ireland seemed a dull drab depressing place back then, but northern Ireland sounded horrific to me as a child.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

I was just gone 5 when the Omagh bombing happened. I can very vaguely recall seeing it on the telly and the talks of it at the kitchen table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Monasterevin siege.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The border fox kidnapping John O'Grady.

The Whiddy Island Disaster.

Then the Buttevant Train Crash.

And the Stardust.

I was evidently a morbid kid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The moving statues, when where they? I was going down to visit my cousins I'm Cork and I remember my Mum warning me don't laugh at the Cork people. I must have been seven or eight I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Stand off at drumcree as it went on so long and remember neighbours and older cousins visibly angering at the TV screens...though mainly the killing of three kids whod be roughly same age as me (primary school I think)...the absolute pointlessness of it all

Remember like a few bombings etc by the ira but couldn't pinpoint them....also possibly a petrol bomb attack on a shopping centre carried out by (???) as it was caught on camera Maybe at Xmas time??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Moving statues, Kerry babies, Don Tidey kidnap.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,554 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Condoms became legal can still remember the stories the old boys used to tell me about them, was only 4 but remember it clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Enniskillen bombing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Twin towers from secondary school

World cup 94 before that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

mansize wrote: »
    Enniskillen bombing
    I vividly remember exactly where I was the moment I heard the news.

Sitting in our car outside our house after pulling up outside with my late father. It came on the news that Sunday and we stayed in the car just listening to reports coming in for ages.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Born in late 72 so can remember the Pope coming, Shergar winning races, the Stardust tragedy and Charles + Di wedding. Oh and Boy George blowing a few oul ****ers minds with his , is it a boy or girl look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

jeez I can't remember 1. I never paid attention to the news. I only remember the 1st news story to have an emotional impact was the story of the Kirsk submarine tragedy.
    Where the news broke that this submarine had "broken down " and was stuck at the seabed with the sailors alive.
    Rescuers reached the sub and could hear the sailors knocking against the door. But the door was warped in the incident and could not be opened. They all died before being rescued.
    I felt sorry for the divers who had to go through the sub and to see these bodies hovering around. And to know some were alive for a while.. only about 10cm from rescuers at ome point.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,344 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Eamon de Valera dying. I was 8 at the time, so I'm sure stuff happened before that that I was aware of but none come to mind right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

The Kerry Babies. Didn't know what it meant but there was constant talk of it for ages.

The Moving Statue was the same year - 1985.

Edit: Actually, looked up the Kerry Babies, it was 1984... but I remember it still being mentioned on the news a lot the following year.

and Boy George blowing a few oul ****ers minds with his , is it a boy or girl look?
    And young ****ers :D I was a small child and found this situation of a pretty lady, being called a boy, to be terribly perplexing. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

My first Irish news story that I can remember is "The Stardust Fire" .
    I was very young, but have very vivid memories of watching and listening to the news images of the fire engines attending the scene and my parents watching in shock and silence. When I see old news footage of it...brings it all back.

Think my next big memory was of the Ronald Regan visit and the paddywhackery around it!
    Showing me age now ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

The John O'Grady kidnapping and subsequent manhunt for the Border Fox sticks out in my mind alright.

Also Colin McStay and the appeal to fund a liver transplant for him. I can still remember his face from the photos. (I actually googled him not long ago and apparently he's doing great).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

My granny was a big JFK fan. I remember her telling me he was a great catholic and went to confession every single day. We were visiting her on the day he was assasinated and remember watching the news reports. She cried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭corm500

The Herrema Kidnapping

Azalea wrote: »
    The Kerry Babies. Didn't know what it meant but there was constant talk of it for ages.

The Moving Statue was the same year - 1985.

Edit: Actually, looked up the Kerry Babies, it was 1984... but I remember it still being mentioned on the news a lot the following year.

How did I forget that one....the story ran for ages and the tribunal seemed to be never off the t.v.
    It was only mentioned a few weeks back on a well know morning radio show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Condoms became legal can still remember the stories the old boys used to tell me about them, was only 4 but remember it clearly.

You can still get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

And in Sport: Barry McGuigan winning the world championship.
    And Dawn Run winning the Cheltenham Gold Cup (I can actually remember some of the commentary "It's Dawn Run, from Forgive and Forget and Wayward Lad, Run and Skip...:D).

Yeah I remember a lot of those bleak mid-to-late 80s events like the horrendous O'Grady kidnapping and also the Jennifer Guinness kidnapping. Enniskillen was horrific - I can remember so clearly the audio of Gordon Wilson's description of saying goodbye to his daughter. It was beyond heartbreaking.
    The Philip Cairns disappearance was chilling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

maudgonner wrote: »
    And Dawn Run winning the Cheltenham Gold Cup (I can actually remember some of the commentary "It's Dawn Run, from Forgive and Forget and Wayward Lad, Run and Skip...:D).

"And the mare is beginning to get up" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Michael Stone running through a graveyard ducking and diving.

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote: »
    Michael Stone running through a graveyard ducking and diving.
    I don't remember the chain of events that followed, which included the above, but that Gibraltar case dominated the news for ages. It was a huge story.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭froggie76

Philip Cairns disappearance, and his schoolbag turning up the next week, the first time I realised that adults didn't have all the answers,and that bad things happened to kids,often still think about him, especially now that I am a parent myself.

I remember the Eamon Casey scandal and my parents being horrified.

The Omagh Bombings. It was one off those catastrophes that you will never forget where you were at the time.

Princess Diana's death.

In sport it was all Italia 90. My friends and I used to be on my swings singing Jackies Army.
    Stephen Roche winning the Tour de France
    Barry McGuigan and the boxing.

In to my teens it was the case of Fiona Pender and the amount of other young women who went missing at that time. Jo Jo Dullard, Annie Mccarrick..so many unanswered questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

mzungu wrote: »
    The border fox kidnapping John O'Grady.

Same !

I remember the Anglo-Irish Agreement too - no idea why. What a boring news story for a child to remember.

And I remember Phil Lynott's death (30-year anniversary recently).

Remember Haughey, Thatcher, Reagan and Gorbachev never being off the news too. And G. Fitzgerald a lot also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

God it's hard to think of news stories that are Irish rather than the big ones that were international.

I grew up in the 90's so it's all relatively recent compared to most people posting, nearly all the stories mentioned ya'd see on a typical episode of Reeling in the Years

I know one story I remember when it broke, it wasn't Irish though, 1993: The Jamie Bulger case, I remember my mother being horrified over that and I was only about 4 at the time.

I remember Bill Clinton's visits here in the 90's.

I remember I think it was 1994 when Boris Yeltsin couldn't be woke on the plane when he came for a state visit, people said he was drunk or hungover when he landed and couldn't get off the plane.

I remember Ireland winning the Eurovision with Rock N' Roll Kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Bosco being unable to choose which hat to wear to the park with Marion and Philip.

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    God it's hard to think of news stories that are Irish rather than the big ones that were international.

I grew up in the 90's so it's all relatively recent compared to most people posting, nearly all the stories mentioned ya'd see on a typical episode of Reeling in the Years

I know one story I remember when it broke, it wasn't Irish though, 1993: The Jamie Bulger case, I remember my mother being horrified over that and I was only about 4 at the time.

I remember Bill Clinton's visits here in the 90's.

I remember I think it was 1994 when Boris Yeltsin couldn't be woke on the plane when he came for a state visit, people said he was drunk or hungover when he landed and couldn't get off the plane.

I remember Ireland winning the Eurovision with Rock N' Roll Kids.
    You'd see all those on Reeling In The Years too ya auldie! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,804 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The Pope coming to Knock.

Dublin v Kerry in the AI Final what seemed like every year.

Hunger strikes.

Three general elections in eighteen months.

Olympic boycotts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Azalea wrote: »
    You'd see all those on Reeling In The Years too ya auldie! :D

Quiet you whippersnap, I'll teach you ta....to...ehhh....(Falls asleep in armchair)

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Quiet you whippersnap, I'll teach you ta....to...ehhh....(Falls asleep in armchair)
    I remember the 80s ones though - super-auldie here. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

The day after Bloody Sunday was a quickly declared day off. We only had RTE then and not even the testcard was broadcast until 6pm, just static until just before the Angelus. Then the News, and the riots and burning of the British Embassy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

The early eighties are just a blur of my father swearing at the news, usually either Haughey, Paisley or Thatcher he was calling a cnut. That and ads for mastitis in between

I do vividly remember Barry McGuigan winning though

The early eighties are just a blur of my father swearing at the news, usually either Haughey, Paisley or Thatcher he was calling a cnut. That and ads for mastitis in between
    Exact same here. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I do vividly remember Barry McGuigan winning though

Haha Triple AAA Golden Maverick and Johnny Logan and again Johnny Logan in Eurovision, Whiddy Island, Stardust, Buttevent, Sallins train robery, Popes visit, Miami showband massacre, Bridie Gargan murder and the manhunt especially around Kildare, The bauld Nell Mc Cafferty, Air India bombing, the Shah of Iran being deposed, Bus strikes, bin strikes, ESB strikes, postal strikes, bank strikes, petrol rationing, Pol Pot and cambodia, Herrema Kidnapping, The Brendan Voyage, every week there were stories of trouble in the North and South Africa and Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Israel etc

The Anne Lovett R.I.P story also sticks out in my head as me of my first news stories.
    Again I was too young to actually know what was going on, but recall her name being constantly on the t.v and radio. Makes you realise how God damm awful Ireland was in the 80's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Haha Triple AAA Golden Maverick and Johnny Logan and again Johnny Logan in Eurovision, Whiddy Island, Stardust, Buttevent, Sallins train robery, Popes visit, Miami showband massacre, Bridie Gargan murder and the manhunt especially around Kildare, The bauld Nell Mc Cafferty, Air India bombing, the Shah of Iran being deposed, Bus strikes, bin strikes, ESB strikes, postal strikes, bank strikes, petrol rationing, Pol Pot and cambodia, Herrema Kidnapping, The Brendan Voyage, every week there were stories of trouble in the North and South Africa and Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Israel etc

That would be the same era that I would have started taking an interest in current affairs.

Also the Ferenka strike in Limerick & the Mountbatten killings.

Jimmy Carter being elected president of the US.

I remember everyone remarking 'He's a peanut farmer you know'.

Advertisement