Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budapest-Top tips?

Options
  • 09-02-2016 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭

Heading to Budapest on Friday and wondering what people might recommend to do there?

Heard its best to wait and get currency there...Any advice??

All tips appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

youngblood wrote: »
    Heading to Budapest on Friday and wondering what people might recommend to do there?

All tips appreciated!

I loaded my credit card and withdrew cash at the ATM. May have cost me an extra 2/3 euro over the weekend - worth it for convenience.

A simple 'See-a' means hi / bye. It's the only word I used but it seemed to be appreciated by the locals... except for when they thought I was Hungarian and started talking in Hungarian... told them I spoke English but was trying to be polite... they appreciated it.

Stay central. We got a private room in Wombats Hostel. It wasn't for cheapness, it was for convenience and to be in a place with a bit of a buzz around other. I would consider it very central, right next to the central Metro: https://www.google.ie/maps/place/wombats+CITY+HOSTEL+Budapest/@47.4979608,19.0556348,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x5d602f684749e02e

The Metro so the SW West, Deak Ferenc is the central Metro, meaning all 4 lines connect there.

Very walkable city if you're not lazy.

Do any of the free walking tours (we tipped about 5 euro / each after).

Do get a 3 day (or whatever) pass for the Metro / Trams. You WILL encounter ticket inspectors and it's hassle having to validate single use cards. If you get the X-day pass, you don't need to validate it. I saw people get fined, and we lost count of how many times our tickets were inspected. You can get this at the airport, which I did for convenience. Don't worry about the "but i'll waste a few hours of it cause I might not use the transport right away" - You can get them to have it start at any time you want. So, if you arrive at the airport ad 1pm, you can get them to start it at x-pm.

We used the airport shuttle, rather than taxi: EDIT-Just Googled it and they have ceased from Dec 2015. Taxi it is, so. (You can do a bus / train but it's hassle) - Think about 20 / 25 euro into the city, it's a set price depending on the district. Just do a Google on getting a legit Taxi.

Do go to the thermal baths. Even better, if the 'Bath Party' is on, go to it! It's serious craic. But be warned, we did encounter some creeps (well, the GF did). A simple 'Fcuk off' with my angry face was enough to put them running.

Do enjoy the Wine :D

Do go to the various Ruin bars.

Do go off the beaten track and wander into a random local pub. We did this by accident and thought 'Fcuk'. We went in and sat down instead of bailing. A damn entertaining evening!! Got chatting with locals (and some other tourists) - cheaper beer and cheaper basic food... some laugh. Would have stayed there all night only we were going to the 'Ship wrecked' boat party (see next point)

DO THE SHIPWRECKED PARTY! We had a blast and met loads of people: https://budapestboatparty.com/events.php - 25euro is a lot to spend on anything in Budapest, but we did our best to drink our weight in booze :D Worth every penny.

My only regret about Budapest is not staying longer. We had 3 night / 4 days (full) and still not enough. I'd do 5 nights if it were my first time.

I won't mention about the historical / museum stuff - that's a given... go see it if that's your thing.

Re. Scams - We didn't come across any (too busy having our own craic) but the common one is being chatted up by 2 girls who claim to be tourists, bring you to a bar for a drink and then you get hit with a massive bill. The only other 'scam' to be aware of is the train inspectors... but that's not a scam, but a legit fine for not validating your ticket.

If you have any specific questions, just ask. We didn't over-plan things, just rocked up and had the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Fantastic tips there, thanks for taking the time!

Any beer recommendations/names? Price?

Fantastic tips there, thanks for taking the time!

Any beer recommendations/names? Price?

Ah Jesus, that's a hard one. We were asking the same questions but just ended up wandering to random places and had a ball.

But for sure, Google 'Ruin Bars' and go to a few of them. Beer is dirt cheap - anything from 1 to 3 euro for beer, depending on what you want. A nice bottle of wine in a bar was 10 euro :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Keeping an eye on this as there's a group of about 10 of us going for a few days next Monday... Anyone ever gone to a firing range whilst there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi guys,
    I'm going tomorrow morning and not sure whether to get the X-day pass or not? I was looking at the 72 hour one as I am staying until Monday evening. Tomorrow I will just take it handy and walk around but Saturday and Sunday I want to use the two full days to the max and if I get up early on Monday I have the guts of a full days as well!

Thanks,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

All tips appreciated!

I'm gonna wait until tomorrow and take the money out there using my ATM card. Thing is though how much should I take out to do me until Monday evening!?

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm going tomorrow morning and not sure whether to get the X-day pass or not? I was looking at the 72 hour one as I am staying until Monday evening. Tomorrow I will just take it handy and walk around but Saturday and Sunday I want to use the two full days to the max and if I get up early on Monday I have the guts of a full days as well!

Thanks,
    M

We were there for 3 days and got the 72 hr pass... we didn't use it much but money well spent for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

For anyone else who might be reading this thread - this was one of the most exciting things I did in Budapest. A lot cheaper and far better put together than the Live Exit games here in Dublin.

http://claustrophilia.hu/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

For shooting we went to this place.

http://www.celeritas-sch.com/

Its a bit outside the city. Think it was around 20 euro in a taxi. Lots of different packages for different budgets and the lads are sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Never really got to update this
    If your a fan of public transport def get the 72 hour ticket that entitles you to access all transport

Check out the ruin bars, they are v cool.
    Terror museum is good
    Have to def recommend a trip to the baths in the main square whose name I couldn't possibly spell...
    Def have a langos, they are amazing
    Check out the indoor market for lots of lovely for and don't be afraid to haggle
    Parliament building tour v interesting
    Basilica worth a look also
    Tour of opera house is great if you haven't been
    Cans of beer in shop about 90c
    Beers about 2e
    Cocktails around 4-5e
    Did an escape room, great fun
    So much to do!

• Advertisement
Advertisement