Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Gift

Options
  • 09-02-2016 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have searched the forum for ideas for golf related gifts but the threads are years old so posting here :)

Are there any funky golf shops or online sites where I can buy nice golf related gifts.

Thanks all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Smile111 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have searched the forum for ideas for golf related gifts but the threads are years old so posting here :)

Are there any funky golf shops or online sites where I can buy nice golf related gifts.

Any sort of detail - of player, age, equipment, what type of golfer he is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

He is 37 and all I know is he loves golf.:p

I was thinking like mugs, towel etc but don't know where to look.

He is 37 and all I know is he loves golf.:p

I was thinking like mugs, towel etc but don't know where to look.

Na give him a voucher for a golf shop.

Or a pack of rewashed Titleist prov 1s balls - 20 to 25 euro for 12. He will be delighted with that.

Golfers don't really like novelty crap. :)

They actually like real golf stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

I'm selling more practical items if interested. Shoes, balls, towels, a tour bag as well etc. PM me if interested.

[QUOTwilling to xdePitchmark;98671115]Na give him a voucher for a golf shop.

Or a pack of rewashed Titleist prov 1s balls - 20 to 25 euro for 12. He will be delighted with that.

Golfers don't really like novelty crap. :)

They actually like real golf stuff.[/QUOTE]

Haha ok thanks.As you can tell I'm new:)
    Was definitely thinking something more personal than a voucher though.
    I am will to spend around €100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Hi,

I'm with Fix on the idea of golf balls... and you could try these to go with them: http://www.theirishgolfblog.com/2013/02/golfdotz-bringing-colour-to-game.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,859 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Balls. A 37 year old golfer probably will have everything he needs already but you can never have enough balls.

Find out what sort of golfer he is though. If he is low single digits, pro vs are the best, though Nike and Calloway have similar offerings. If he is a mid handicapper you could go a mid range ball and get mor for your money and if he is crap you can get him some Dunlops:)

Balls. A 37 year old golfer probably will have everything he needs already but you can never have enough balls.

Find out what sort of golfer he is though. If he is low single digits, pro vs are the best, though Nike and Calloway have similar offerings. If he is a mid handicapper you could go a mid range ball and get mor for your money and if he is crap you can get him some Dunlops:)

Mentioned something before about shot level par.
    Does that mean anything?!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

It means that he is a legend :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Yes, if he's shot level par once he's a good golfer and I'd expect between a 3 and 5 handicapper. I've yet to shoot level par but aiming to this year as well as reducing my handicap to 5. Premium golf balls will be well received but you're talking about €45 to 50 for a dozen so not cheap. Fixdepitchmark's suggestion of lake ProVs is a good one, would get a dozen for 20 - 25 and usually little difference.

Just on the "lake" prov's. Sometimes you can get refurbished/refinished prov's. I used to get them from a supplier but he doesn't do them anymore. They were always as good as new balls

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭millerj

Might mean he is prone to telling porkies..ha ha! If he has shot level par then a pair of trousers from loudmouth.com is what he is entitled to wear

millerj wrote: »
    Might mean he is prone to telling porkies..ha ha! If he has shot level par then a pair of trousers from loudmouth.com is what he is entitled to wear

Yes he can finish of being a golf wanker then. I hope to never meet a person, I know with them on.

If he had a level par round - get him some new prov 1s - he will be well impressed.

Rory is only playing Nike as he has no choice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

If your Spending €100 Voucher for McGuirks (or his local pros shop if its any good)

I think all golfers usually have something on their wish list, eg new bag/shoes/putter but the really nice gear tends to be expensive.
    If say a €180 pair of shoes are only costing him €80 out of pocket more likely to rush out and purchase them.

Or best yet tell him you've booked a weekend away for the Last weekend in Sept, watch the look of disappointment when he realises he might miss the Ryder cup (Big Golf team comp, A weekend of compulsive viewing for any golf fan). Then watch his delight as you tell him he is not coming and can stay at home and watch the Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

I got these a couple of years ago.

http://www.funkdgolf.com/product-category/pom-pom-headcovers/

Throw in a dozen Pro V's ..happy days

Goldenjohn wrote: »

you see now, I just consider that tat and barring a lost one, all woods come with their own head covers. Got one of these for Christmas and it went straight back to the shop.

each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Pro v golf balls are a safe bet, but some golfers are picky about their ball brands so if you can sneak a look in his golf bag you'll get a better idea.

If he's a bit maths nerdy then you could consider buying him a Game Golf analyser. Its a tool you use to track your stats during a round.

If you're looking to buy clothes, there is a site called trendygolf.com that has some really nice gear, but can be a bit steep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Seve OB wrote: »
    Just on the "lake" prov's. Sometimes you can get refurbished/refinished prov's. I used to get them from a supplier but he doesn't do them anymore. They were always as good as new balls

Ah now to be fair, refurb balls are definitely not as good as new balls as you say above. Lake balls can be if they are one hit wonders etc but refurbs have been refurbed for a reason. Never seen a refurb that doesn't shed some of it's shiny white paint after a couple of hits. Avoid like the plague would be my advice.

At least with lake balls what you see is what you get. They might have the odd mark or blemish but will outlast refurbs, no question

Ah now to be fair, refurb balls are definitely not as good as new balls as you say above. Lake balls can be if they are one hit wonders etc but refurbs have been refurbed for a reason. Never seen a refurb that doesn't shed some of it's shiny white paint after a couple of hits. Avoid like the plague would be my advice.

At least with lake balls what you see is what you get. They might have the odd mark or blemish but will outlast refurbs, no question

I have heard that but genuinely the ones I used to get were excellent. I guess it all depends on who has refurbished them..;.. and those ones can't be gotten anymore :(

• Advertisement

Thanks all for your help. So most likely those pro V's balls.
    Sorry now but this is going to be a really stupid question, can you never have enough?
    If he had some already, it would be ok. Don't shoot me;)

I definitely with everyone on those golf covers. I don't like them at all. I seen mug which said tee for tea or something somewhere but can't remember where! Thought that was nice, fun and useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

If you're getting pro v golf balls for circa 50 euro why not get a personalised scorecard holder instead?
    Ordered some as gifts myself and they are a quality product.

http://www.carveon.com/products/scorecard-holder-tan

valoren wrote: »
    If you're getting pro v golf balls for circa 50 euro why not get a personalised scorecard holder instead?
    Ordered some as gifts myself and they are a quality product.

http://www.carveon.com/products/scorecard-holder-tan

waste of money

Sorry now but this is going to be a really stupid question, can you never have enough?
    If he had some already, it would be ok. Don't shoot me;)

I definitely with everyone on those golf covers. I don't like them at all. I seen mug which said tee for tea or something somewhere but can't remember where! Thought that was nice, fun and useful!

go to his club ... or just ring them. Ask the Pro do they do the personalised Pro' V1's. I think if you buy 2 boxes, you can get them personalised with his name for nothing extra and is something cool he would like to get I'm sure

http://www.titleist.co.uk/custom

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

Seve OB wrote: »
    go to his club ... or just ring them. Ask the Pro do they do the personalised Pro' V1's. I think if you buy 2 boxes, you can get them personalised with his name for nothing extra and is something cool he would like to get I'm sure

http://www.titleist.co.uk/custom

Be careful there with the personalized Balls, what happens when you shank one out of bounds in to a Neighboring property or through someones car window in the car park off the first!

Plausible Deniability!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Smile111 wrote:
    I have searched the forum for ideas for golf related gifts but the threads are years old so posting here

Smile111 wrote:

Smile111 wrote:
    Thanks all

Even good players benefit from (and appreciate) a session with a pro. Does the pro in his club do vouchers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Probably not.
    I hope this doesn't sound patronising, but to ensure you avoid doing a Larry Gogan (who famously introduced a song as being by Bell Eleven, instead of BellX1), you're asking for 'Pro V Ones'

Can i have a bix of pro fives please :D

Probably not.
    I hope this doesn't sound patronising, but to ensure you avoid doing a Larry Gogan (who famously introduced a song as being by Bell Eleven, instead of BellX1), you're asking for 'Pro V Ones'

Nope, not at all :) Need all the help I can get :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement