Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another boring Buggy question - all terrain, walking, jogging

Options
  • 09-02-2016 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking for a buggy that would go well on bumpy, uneven roads and could do some off-road too.

I'm eyeing Out 'n About second hand one at the moment. My main concern is the air-inflated tyres. How long do they last? Has any of you experienced problems with excessive wear, punctures etc?

I've got phil&teds at the moment and the tyres last about 3 weeks :eek: I'm about to throw it into the skip, piece of... sorry, but I'm ragging here.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have had my out n about 5 years and 5 kids,3 at a time sit on it.
    I have brought it everywhere with us and I have had 2 punctures that were my fault(nail through the tyre!) and about 4 other ones,it is 25 euro in the local bike shop to get a new wheel and I had to finally replace one of them 2 years ago.
    The weight load I carry on it does not help!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I've used my Uppababy for jogging, it's great on all terrain and the tyres are solid. It was better when he was smaller for jogging (would put him in the car seat, he would fall asleep) maybe not so much now. Have a separate jogging buggy I got on Adverts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

it is great for the beach too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I don't jog but have a bugaboo cameleon. Great on bumpy, uneven surfaces etc. I used to walk 3 big dogs and push it no problems. It also has a beach mode. I was actually watching a programme last night "me and my guide dog". There was a couple who were both blind, had 2 guide dogs and a baby in a bugaboo cameleon...not a bother to them manovering around the place :)

I also have a bugaboo,there is no comparison.
    The Bugaboo isn't bad,but there is no comparison.
    Trying to use it on a beach or bad terrain is an absolute pain.
    Trying to fold the Bugaboo is also a pain,it does have the advantage that you can change the seat to front or rear facing and it is heavier.

• Advertisement

Trying to fold the Bugaboo is also a pain,it does have the advantage that you can change the seat to front or rear facing and it is heavier.

Moonbeam wrote: »

I have used it on the beach in beach mode ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Another vote for the out n about. Great buggy. It's done some serious mileage for us. I run with it, we bring it to the beach, the woods, everywhere.

Punctures, we've had two over 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We've a bugaboo donkey. Once you click the front wheel yokes it handles all terrain. We had it on the beach throughout our holiday last year. I'm not a fan of three wheelers myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Miss Merry Berry

Millem wrote: »
    I don't jog but have a bugaboo cameleon. Great on bumpy, uneven surfaces etc. I used to walk 3 big dogs and push it no problems. It also has a beach mode. I was actually watching a programme last night "me and my guide dog". There was a couple who were both blind, had 2 guide dogs and a baby in a bugaboo cameleon...not a bother to them manovering around the place :)

I have the Bugaboo Cameleon and it is a fantastic pushchair. I go out walking everyday on all sorts of terrain and my child would happily sleep through it all. The suspension on it is great. I wouldn't mind being pushed about in it myself. I go for walks on the beach and I find it so easy to push on the sand, I brought a cheapo stroller to the beach one day and I might as well have brought the kitchen chair with me! One thing I notice about it is that it's better to have the bigger wheels facing to the front, I find it's easier to wheel then. I'm due in August and I'll get another 2-3 years out of it at least, there is isn't a dent or scratch on it and it's still inside the 3 year warranty. The only downside is that you do need a very big boot for it, that's my only gripe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

I have a mothercare xtreme that a friend gave me. It's fantastic! We go for long walks on rough terrain with the dog and it handles it brilliantly. My friend used it for 3 years with her little girl and she would have similar walking habits to me.

I know they don't make this model anymore but I think there's a similar one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Millem wrote: »
    I have used it on the beach in beach mode ;)

You would go for a walk with it in "beach mode"? Which is basically dragging it behind you on two wheels?

I used to work in nursery retail and it wouldn't be one I'd have recommended for the beach at all. The front wheels are far too small and will dig in, and the beach mode is basically for dragging it to where you want to sit on the beach and sit down.

I have an uppababy and it's pretty good on the beach, the wheels are big enough that it doesn't dig into the sand. I was either getting that or the mountain buggy, which has a bigger front wheel as I'd be on the beach a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

You would go for a walk with it in "beach mode"? Which is basically dragging it behind you on two wheels?

I used to work in nursery retail and it wouldn't be one I'd have recommended for the beach at all. The front wheels are far too small and will dig in, and the beach mode is basically for dragging it to where you want to sit on the beach and sit down.

I have an uppababy and it's pretty good on the beach, the wheels are big enough that it doesn't dig into the sand. I was either getting that or the mountain buggy, which has a bigger front wheel as I'd be on the beach a good bit.

I've used mine on the beach, flip the big wheels to the front and it's worked perfectly.

I personally can't fault the cameleon at all, I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Digs wrote: »
    I've used mine on the beach, flip the big wheels to the front and it's worked perfectly.

I personally can't fault the cameleon at all, I love it.

It's a good buggy. It has loads of advantages, particularly how lightweight it is and its manoeuvrability. But the "beach mode" is gimmicky and not suitable for going for a walk, it's basically dragging it behind you and easily dropped unless you have the safety strap well wrapped around your wrist. And the basket is practically useless as was the changing bag. I used to be embarrassed selling the bag as they were overpriced and you'd fit bugger all in them!

Flipping the handle to walk with the big wheels at the front does work for rough terrain once you lock the small wheels, but like I said it's wouldn't have been the first buggy that I would have recommended for the beach. There were plenty of other big wheeled options that would have been more suitable. The beach I walk on has plenty of soft sand, and it's almost like quicksand in places, plus sometimes the tide is so far in there's nothing but soft sand to walk on. And that's before you have to play dodge the horse hoof potholes.

It's hard to get a buggy to fit every need, you just need to prioritize what you need it for most. Most people who bought the bugaboo bought it because it was so light. I sold loads to friends and family but then as their families grew, they ended up buying the phil and teds. The best thing that the bugaboo ever did was introduce foam filled tyres as opposed to air filled ones, the end of punctures!

It's a good buggy. It has loads of advantages, particularly how lightweight it is and its manoeuvrability. But the "beach mode" is gimmicky and not suitable for going for a walk, it's basically dragging it behind you and easily dropped unless you have the safety strap well wrapped around your wrist. And the basket is practically useless as was the changing bag. I used to be embarrassed selling the bag as they were overpriced and you'd fit bugger all in them!

Flipping the handle to walk with the big wheels at the front does work for rough terrain once you lock the small wheels, but like I said it's wouldn't have been the first buggy that I would have recommended for the beach. There were plenty of other big wheeled options that would have been more suitable. The beach I walk on has plenty of soft sand, and it's almost like quicksand in places, plus sometimes the tide is so far in there's nothing but soft sand to walk on. And that's before you have to play dodge the horse hoof potholes.

It's hard to get a buggy to fit every need, you just need to prioritize what you need it for most. Most people who bought the bugaboo bought it because it was so light. I sold loads to friends and family but then as their families grew, they ended up buying the phil and teds. The best thing that the bugaboo ever did was introduce foam filled tyres as opposed to air filled ones, the end of punctures!

I had the old bag and it was grand :confused: it looked like a rectangle with a strap. I was never one for using nappy bags anyway ;) the newer design one looked huge to....far too big that's why I didn't buy it! It looked like something you would bring on a flight lol.

Buggies are like marmite love love or hate them. I didn't get the vista as it was too heavy and the old model rumble seat was neither here nor there. I couldn't see myself being able to manage going down curbs etC. I only tried in the shop so I am sure other people who bought it will it's fine ;) The new model has seat like the city select which is much much better.

As for beach mode, yes I have use it when I was on hols in dry sand and flipped the wheels in wet sand. We will use it again on hols this summer. My oh always puts the strap on his wrist regardless even on flat. I never use it.

I weighed my 2 year old yesterday and he is almost 3 stone and it is still so Light to push.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

thanks everyone for your replies.
    I looked at bugaboo cameleon when I was looking for our first pram/buggy. I wasn't impressed. it felt too flimsy, too 'plasticy', with too many moving parts. for that reason I'd love a buggy that doesn't fold at all, which frame wouldn't have any give in any direction, and it can be as heavy as they can get ;) yeah, that's my wishful thinking. but for now I think I'm gonna settle with Out'n About.
    thanks everyone once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

I got a concord wanderer. Great pram, I have literally brought it to the top of a mountain. I got it because it was parent and forward facing.

If you are not worried about parent facing the out and about does look very good. Air filled tyres will give the best ride.

Advertisement