Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raptor ID help please

Options
  • 09-02-2016 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Just spotted a raptor being harried by a Crow.... it was a good bit smaller than the Crow and the underside was light grey possibly.

Nearest I could get in my book was Sparrowhawk. Is this likely ?

Had the wings set quite far forward with a longish tail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Fan tail or straight tail?
    Fan tail would be kestrel although in flight it would be straightish
    Straight would be sparrowhawk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd plump for Sparrowhawk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

kestrel would have been my second guess, but I don't know enough to be sure. I suspected something was out there as every now and then all the birds in the garden would suddenly flee to the trees! Whatever it was had a problem as the Crow (Rook I guess) was heading for home at dusk and so were all his mates.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

kestrel would have been my second guess, but I don't know enough to be sure. I suspected something was out there as every now and then all the birds in the garden would suddenly flee to the trees! Whatever it was had a problem as the Crow (Rook I guess) was heading for home at dusk and so were all his mates.....

Birds in the garden scattering is a good indication it was a Sparrowhawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Birds in the garden scattering is a good indication it was a Sparrowhawk.

And probably male, going by the size and color.

• Advertisement
Advertisement