Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour call on archbishop to mediate between ‘mafia-type gangsters’

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The Archbishop has already passed the buck[...]
    When it wishes - and it seems it did here - the Magesterium of the Holy Mother Church can move with a speed which borders upon the unsightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I heard there was a Monk involved but he's out of the picture now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Mediate or meditate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

When I sped-read the thread title, I presumed that the discussion would relate to the mafia-type gangsters in the Catholic hierarchy in Rome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

...the archbishop said the mothers and grandmothers are likely to be "strong women"
    "...and much better at that sort of thing than me" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hm. On this occasion I think the Bishop is not wrong in suggesting this is not appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A ridiculous suggestion, and deeply embarrassing for a party supposedly in favour of the separation of church and state.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

A ridiculous suggestion, and deeply embarrassing for a party supposedly in favour of the separation of church and state.

Yeah I was actually saddened to see such a ridiculous suggestion being put forward by the party,

The catholic church and by extension Archbishop is no longer highly respected in Ireland by the avg Joe as they've seen how corrupt it is and is certainly not by the avg scumbag criminal, never mind crime bosses.

Father Ted was supposed to be satire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

"the archbishop said the mothers and grandmothers are likely to be "strong women"
    recedite wrote: »
    "...and much better at that sort of thing than me" :pac:

".....and I've no intention of going anywhere near those "strong women", as they may very well actually show me where I can stick it"

And if he did think that, he'd probably be spot on. To my knowledge, Irish crime gang "god mothers" are the scariest individuals of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭derm0j073

I take it there's no danger of anyone from the Labour party stepping to mediate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

derm0j073 wrote: »
    I take it there's no danger of anyone from the Labour party stepping to mediate.

Well, not Alan Kelly anyway :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Father Ted was supposed to be satire.

So much reality in Fr Ted,
    So here we have a country where the county council gets Priests to bless the roads to prevent road deaths and a government party wants an archbishop to stop violence between crime gangs.

It would be funny if it didn't show up the country as utterly backwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Actually I think there's some sense to this, why not get a member of one the world's largest crinimal gangs to mediate between two other criminal gangs, I mean who'd understand them better?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Cabaal wrote: »
    [...] a government party wants an archbishop to stop violence between crime gangs [...]
    If Martin is there in a personal capacity then I think that's ok. If he's there as a representative of the church, then the wisdom is less obvious.

That said, Fr Denis Faul did some good work with terrorists in Northern Ireland, so there is a precedent for requesting churchmen to mediate in disputes that lead to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Penn wrote: »
    I heard there was a Monk involved but he's out of the picture now

jack.jpg

Advertisement