Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using business name instead of company name

Options
  • 09-02-2016 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Private limited company has a registered company name and it also has registered business name. Can I use business name instead of company name?

For example:
    1. Can I issue invoices to my customers using just my business name?
    2. Can I use just business name when signing contracts?
    3. Can I buy domain name something.ie using business name in order form and will it mean that my company owns the domain name?

I plan to do several online projects each with its own name. My plan is to have one registered company and several registered business names, one for each project and then to use this project's business name in all legal documents. Is it possible?

Is there any act other than REGISTRATION OF BUSINESS NAMES ACT, 1963 that sets rules for how to use business name?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

The legal entity (Ltd co) must be clearly identified on all published materials/invoices/websites etc as the owner of the RBN. Everybody is entitles to know who they are dealing with, legally. A business name has no legal identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ogogo

1:- To expand on Pedronomix's answer a little. You can issue an invoice under your trading name (Registered Business Name) once you also identify who the legal entity is. What you would need to do in this case is to advise your Bank of your trading name and provide them with a copy of the RBN to enable them lodge cheques made out to your registered business name.

2:- You wont be able to enter into contracts with just your RBN - if for no other reason that there can be many different entities with the same registered business name. You could do something like "Acme Services Limited trading as ASL"

3:- The company must own the domain - not the Registered Business Name.

The bottom line in all of this is the Registered Business Name is just that, a Name - not a legal entity and the purpose of registration is to ensure that people know who they are dealing with - if you try to obscure that you are likely inviting trouble.

Advertisement