Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul O'Connell retires

Options
  • 09-02-2016 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

Enjoy it. And what a career. Sad way to end but irish rugby owes him a lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Just seen this, terrible end to his career. Hopefully he lines up coaching role in France

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's a terrible pity. I'm sure he would have picked up another medal within the next two years at Toulon. Then there's the nest egg that is gone also.

If he doesn't go full time into his business interests I'm sure the IRFU will find a suitable role for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Not the end anyone would have wished for him - but I'm pleased to have had the chance to watch him play.

What now? coaching? team management?

I always thought he'd make a great coach once he served a suitable 'apprenticeship'!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Didn't realise that hamstring injury was so severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Heads up for the eggchasers...

POC will be interviewed on RTÉ's Today with Sean O'Rourke shortly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

So disappointed for him. A great servant to the Munster and Ireland set-up, and a very nice person to boot. Highly respected throughout the game and is a big loss.

I sincerely hope he stays involved in rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

So disappointed for him. A great servant to the Munster and Ireland set-up, and a very nice person to boot. Highly respected throughout the game and is a big loss.

I sincerely hope he stays involved in rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,087 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Heads up for the eggchasers...

POC will be interviewed on RTÉ's Today with Sean O'Rourke shortly...

any idea how soon, just turned over and paul williams is on, i'd rather not listen to him !!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's a terrible pity. I'm sure he would have picked up another medal within the next two years at Toulon. Then there's the nest egg that is gone also.

Would assume he will get some kind of insurance pay out.

Bloody awful way to end obviously. Was playing some great stuff still as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Bit sad he won't get a huge send off, the fans would love a chance to show their appreciation. Thanks for the memories Paul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

They should bring him out before the next home game in Dublin.
    Doesn't strike me as the type of guy who needs or wants that but he deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

2smiggy wrote: »
    any idea how soon, just turned over and paul williams is on, i'd rather not listen to him !!

15 minutes time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

I often feel the word Legend is thrown about too freely, but in the case of Paul i can't think of a more fitting word, an absolute colossus of the game, a great servant to Irish Rugby and from the few times i met him personally an absolute gent, lovely guy , a phenomenal payer and inspirational captain. Paul O'Connell the definition of an absolute Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

A true legend and inspiration. One of the all time greats of the game! Good luck, Paulie!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Disappointing way for his career to end.

What a man and sporting hero. Just a complete legend. Absolute gent as well. Always had time for the fans and was very approachable.

2smiggy wrote: »

:D I genuinely apologise for putting you through that... he's coming up in the next few mins I'm sure.

EDIT: On now, 10.42am

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

That post title pulled on my heartstrings before I could even open the link. Such a pity, I'll miss seeing him play.

9mcudgD.jpg

Obligatory angry faced photo

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bridgetown1

He needs a send off, in both Thomond AND Musgrave.

We want to say THANKS and let him know we will NEVER forget him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Clegg wrote: »
    Didn't realise that hamstring injury was so severe.
    it was a paticularly bad injury....jaysus i nearly covered my eyes watching the slow mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shermanator

With his leadership abilities he will have no problems picking up a top position in Irish Rugby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

He needs a send off, in both Thomond AND Musgrave.

We want to say THANKS and let him know we will NEVER forget him.

I'd say he would refuse that offer. His last Munster appearance was in May, it would be very strange to have a 'send off' now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

That's a real shame, would have been great to see him line out for Toulon and maybe pick up another medal.

Will be interesting to hear if Mourad has a take on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Dreadful news. What a man! What a player!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

thanks for the memories man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

some great tributes on twitter, and not just from players/coaches. Just fans of non-irish clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Probably the greatest leader we ever had. It will be sad not to get the chance to see him play again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Very disappointed for him to bow out like this. He really deserved a couple of seasons with Toulan. A legend for Ireland, his impact to Irish and Munster rugby has been incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

At the time of the injury, I knew there wasnt a hope in billyo that he would ever play for Toulon. For the sake of his bank balance thats one thing (insurance aside), but for the sake of his health and his family and all that, I think this is good news.

Its probably also fitting that he will always be a Munster man, never one of Mourad's Mercenaries.

As a true blue myself, I can say there was never a Munster man who was more worthy of respect, Paulie we salute you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

I feel honoured to have seen him play. Feel like I'll be telling my grandkids about how I was there the day he was slain by that injury and how horriffic it sounded to hear him (of all people) scream in agony as he tried to stand up after the other players had gone in for half time.
    I remember wondering how much pain that would actually be needed to make that man scream like that.

And playing like he was in his absolute prime too.

Thank you for all the memories, and I'm looking forward to what you are now inevitably going to bring to the game in your future roles.

Advertisement