Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I create an app((Python)

Options
  • 09-02-2016 2:12am

I have been learning Python online. I also have learned basic HTML and CSS before this and have been practicing for a while creating web pages

So say now I want to start practicing building something with Python. I was thinking of writing a programme to store lists of jobs for customers. Add and remove jobs. Print jobs completed with fee. Store customer info etc.
    How do I go about giving it a user interface? Should I be creating an app to use on my PC (windows 10) or iPhone. Are apps the way to and am I millions of miles away from being able to creat them
    Or should I be going another route to build things as practice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Learn to program first, then learn to program apps.

Learn to walk before you learn to run.

In my experience, Xcode can be very intimidating for first-time coders, so I would personally recommend avoiding that until you have some experience under your belt.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Learn to program first, then learn to program apps.

Learn to walk before you learn to run.

In my experience, Xcode can be very intimidating for first-time coders, so I would personally recommend avoiding that until you have some experience under your belt.

Thanks. I understand I need to learn how to walk first. How did you get experience under your belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Thanks. I understand I need to learn how to walk first. How did you get experience under your belt?

Make something small, then make something slightly bigger and work up to a large project.

What you are talking about is not just an iPhone app, but also building web APIs, data models, data validation, not to mention a combination of different technologies: JSON, REST, Python, SQL, Objective C, Swift, Web servers etc. and design patterns, MVC, client server architecture etc.

You should start by creating a simple Web based application, using your existing HTML/CSS/JS skills and your new found python skills.

Experiment with python frameworks like django etc.

This will give you a flavour of MVC, SQL, Python, web servers etc.

Once you've mastered this, then creating an iPhone app won't be such a leap.

I agree Xcode has a very steep learning curve.

You need to understand more of how things work, the more you understand the better stuff you can build.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Django is pretty accommodating. I've just started playing with it and have to say the models and generic views make it really nice to get going with, much much easier learning curve compared to the likes of Angular JS.

Try following the Django tutorial on the foundations site. Notepad++/Sublime are plenty in terms of an IDE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

ED E wrote: »
    Django is pretty accommodating. I've just started playing with it and have to say the models and generic views make it really nice to get going with, much much easier learning curve compared to the likes of Angular JS.

Try following the Django tutorial on the foundations site. Notepad++/Sublime are plenty in terms of an IDE.

Django is great, but you're not really comparing like with like.

Django is an MVC framework which runs on the server, Angular JS is a MVW which runs in the browser.

In fact you would probably use both of these together rather than selecting one over the other.

Like for like would be Django vs Rails vs Laravel or AngularJS vs EmberJS vs BackboneJS.

Again, if you understand the former the latter will be much easier to pick up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

It sounds like you're only starting to learn stuff, so the comments re walking before running are very relevant. By all means do your web site - note that you'll need a database to store the information, so you'll need to learn a little about them. If you want to create a mobile app, consider using something like Cordoba/Phonegap - it basically turns a web page into an app. If you want to store data, you'll want to send the information back to your server which means you need some hosting solution. Try something like IBM's Bluemix "Mobile First" or Heroku: IMHO, these are the better PaaS services.

Advertisement