Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling with a student loan

Options
  • 09-02-2016 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi guys, so I'm in my second year of college and I took out a student loan at the credit union to pay my college fees as I didn't get the grant, I'm working part time on weekends but I'm really starting to struggle with repayments, I commute to uni as well so that takes up majority of my weekly income, I'm really starting to struggle to pay the loan and I was just wondering is there any way I can hold off the loan repayments until after uni or anything like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Have you spoken to your lender?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dfarrelly96

endacl wrote: »
    Have you spoken to your lender?

No I haven't spoke to them yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Maybe that should be the first step? Answers here would be pure speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dfarrelly96

Maybe that should be the first step? Answers here would be pure speculation

Yeah that's probably the best thing to do, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the credit union specifically, I will try and get in and talk to them as soon as I can

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If your loan is with the Credit Union, they will tend to be more understanding and flexible than the banks. Work out what you can afford, put a repayment plan together, and put it to them. The worst they can say is no.

• Advertisement
Advertisement