Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identifying bracket needed for project

Options
  • 08-02-2016 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi,
    I hope someone here can help me identify the name of the type of bracket I want to source for a project, so I know what to look for.

I want to make a dolly cart for a heavy guitar amplifier so that I can move it around more easily, just by pushing it on wheels as opposed to having to lift it. Essentially, I envisage something that will look like a skateboard - a flat rectangular panel with swivel castors on the underside at each corner. I want the panel to be the exact footprint of the bottom of the amp and want to affix a bracket at each corner that will extrude somewhat above the the top/surface of the panel so that they will act as retainers at each corner when the amp is seated on the panel. Preferably the bracket would screw into the underside of the panel only and the vertical/visible part would hug both sides of the corner and rise a certain amount above the panel to create the retainer (preferable this part would be rounded or domed.

Anyone have any idea whether such a thing exists, what it's called and where I can get them?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Aldi or Lidl furniture mover set, and attach them to a plywood base. Nice and low and job done.

http://www.offerscheck.org/powerfix-furniture-transport-set/lidl/2015/kw-53/276677

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

the larger the wheels the easier it will be to move around over uneven surfaces, cables etc.
    I would get proper 50mm or 75 mm castors, with rubber wheels for quite rolling and locking on at least two.
    screw to 22mm ply as suggested using the corner idea already suggested: if u are in Dublin there is a castor place I use in Ballymount

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

the larger the wheels the easier it will be to move around over uneven surfaces, cables etc.
    I would get proper 50mm or 75 mm castors, with rubber wheels for quite rolling and locking on at least two.
    screw to 22mm ply as suggested using the corner idea already suggested: if u are in Dublin there is a castor place I use in Ballymount

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you're buying the ply (or whatever) base specially, or have a bit that'll do, you could cut some triangles from it and screw them to the corners, and dispense with the corner brackets.

Hope that makes sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

It would be stronger and cheaper just to mitre two pieces of hardwood and screw and glue them into the top of the base. You could use wooden countersink plugs if you don't like the appearance of the screws.Just make the base a little bigger to compensate for the thickness of the bracket bits.

Advertisement