Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information on priests

Options
  • 08-02-2016 12:49am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I seem to remember some time ago somebody posted a link to a website where one could get information on past members of the clergy.
    It may have been that this was an English site but I thought there was mention also of an Irish site.
    I'm looking for information on John Moore - pp of Clondalkin in the late 1800's - such as where he trained and when he was ordained in case it might provide other family info.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

What you want are the Irish Catholic Directories. Several of these are available free online, and of course NLI, TCD, etc will have a full run of them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Thoms would have details of Dublin priests.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I don't think it will help with Dublin, but some diocese (well, at least one - Ferns), have published books containing lists of the secular Catholic clergy, with potted biographies. In fact, for Ferns there are two such volumes, published about a century apart. I have many, many relatives in the recent Ferns book, and learned several invaluable things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Thoms would have details of Dublin priests.

And all the country.

However they do not give details of training, which the catholic directory does.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I was in touch with Dublin Diocese Archives today but still await a call back.
    Hopefully they may have something.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Hermy wrote: »
    I seem to remember some time ago somebody posted a link to a website where one could get information on past members of the clergy.
    It may have been that this was an English site but I thought there was mention also of an Irish site.
    I'm looking for information on John Moore - pp of Clondalkin in the late 1800's - such as where he trained and when he was ordained in case it might provide other family info.

Google Books is your friend. They have several years of the Irish Catholic Directory available online for free.
    Fr. Moore is not listed under Clondalkin in 1904.
    In 1876, John Moore is listed as PP of Clondalkin in the section organized by parish, but in the section organized alphabetically, he is stated to be PP of Lucan. While this is an apparent contradiction, in "Sadlier's Catholic Almanac and Ordo for the Year of Our Lord 1866," he is listed as PP of "Plamerstown, Lucan and Clondalkin".

There are multiple mentions of Fr. Moore on the Clondalkin parish history page at
    http://www.clondalkinparish.com/?p=67
    Among other things, it states that he served 53 years in the parish, covering at least the period from 1844 to 1891, when they celebrated his golden jubilee (as a priest), and erected an ornamental archway in his honor.

A Google search for "Rev. John Moore PP Clondalkin" throws up multiple "hits".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

A Google search for "Rev. John Moore PP Clondalkin" throws up multiple "hits".

Indeed it does Chieftain and thanks for taking the time to put it all together.
    I have a few other bits besides including his baptism in Donymore in 1814 and several items recording his death but I'm hoping that they may be something in the archives giving some or any details of his family.

I have also been in touch with Clondalkin parish - the pp is away at present but the lady I spoke with seems to think he may know a thing or two.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement