Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web UI for python

Options
  • 08-02-2016 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I've been doing some coding on python to monitor and manage IT infra.
    It all works ok for me as I know to use it and what arguments to pass to my python apps. So I've been asked to provide these to other people and I did this by building debian appliance(OVA) with all the relevant modules etc. that users can easily deploy. Unfortunately that is not enough as the users who would be using this are not too skilled and cli is too high tech for them.
    So the idea is to build the server with all the python apps and create a web UI to run them. Unfortunately this is not my area as I deal mostly with scripts and I'm looking for recommendation for simple solution.
    The basic requirements is that a user using a web browser would be able to upload the files with data click a button and a specific .py would run and after it saves the output file the user should be able to download that file.
    I've started looking what's available and there are loads Django, Flask, webpy etc.
    Any recommendation is appreciated.
    Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

reklamos wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I've been doing some coding on python to monitor and manage IT infra.
    It all works ok for me as I know to use it and what arguments to pass to my python apps. So I've been asked to provide these to other people and I did this by building debian appliance(OVA) with all the relevant modules etc. that users can easily deploy. Unfortunately that is not enough as the users who would be using this are not too skilled and cli is too high tech for them.
    So the idea is to build the server with all the python apps and create a web UI to run them. Unfortunately this is not my area as I deal mostly with scripts and I'm looking for recommendation for simple solution.
    The basic requirements is that a user using a web browser would be able to upload the files with data click a button and a specific .py would run and after it saves the output file the user should be able to download that file.
    I've started looking what's available and there are loads Django, Flask, webpy etc.
    Any recommendation is appreciated.
    Thank you

Flask is a micro-framework, that gives you the basics to get going as quick as possible, and lets you pull everything else you need in via supporting libraries and plugins. It's great for small projects, as you can get up and running with minimal effort.

Django is a fully fledged web framework, with built in routing, ORM, admin panel etc. You get the kitchen sink, and it's great for the bigger projects where you don't want to be fiddling around with the smaller bits.

Given that it sounds like you have no experience with either, and your requirements are reasonably straightforward, I think that Flask suits the project a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Thanks for input.
    I was thinking Flask also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 annamosullivan

Hello guys, can anyone recommend any good resources on software engineering/data structures and algorithms in general? It might help me to understand what I'm doing better when I'm building something. Currently trying to develop an app in Django at the moment-can anyone recommend any good Django resources, apart from the project documentation? Alternatively, is there anyone who does Python tuition out there? The New Boston doesn't do Django, even though I've found them pretty good for general Python.

By the way, I found Flask good for a small web app back end project I did about a year ago. Django is more a full stack framework, and great if you want to build a blogging or membership site in that you only use the one language, which integrates well with databases like MySQL, Sqlite, PostgreSQL for example. Never heard of Django being used for sysadmin work like what @reklamos is looking to do. Apologies in advance for posting if this has already been covered elsewhere.

Advertisement