Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What screeches and squeals in the woods

Options
  • 07-02-2016 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

I live on the edge of a wooded area with more woodland and forest nearby. Only a few minutes ago I stood outside and heard one or more animals screeching very loud from the wood and I'm curious what it could be.
    It definitely wasn't foxes as apart from being the wrong time of year I grew up hearing those and this wasn't near as blood curdling but was more sustained, less loud but higher pitched and sounded weaker.
    We have deer, squirrels, pine martin etc running around the place and I've heard a few reports of pigs plus I seen a spot that looked well excavated like how pigs can churn up a spot. Is there anything more likely than wild pigs that might be the culprit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭damemcd

Werewolves???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

An owl?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Zombies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

damemcd wrote: »
    Werewolves???

Nah I'm the only werewolf around here!!

I never thought of an owl, it was pretty sustained, at least a minute. Would that be a possibility?

damemcd wrote: »
    Werewolves???

I never thought of an owl, it was pretty sustained, at least a minute. Would that be a possibility?

• Advertisement

Zombies?

Don't be silly. They only inhabit shopping centres and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I'm not sure I've never heard one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

A banshee. But an owl is more likely. And preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

magpie?!?

They can make fierce noise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Rabbit in distress?

Go to about 1.57 below, sound like that?

Or any of them here, freaking weird noises they make.

http://www.findsounds.com/isapi/search.dll?keywords=rabbit

• Advertisement

Kovu wrote: »
    Rabbit in distress?

Go to about 1.57 below, sound like that?

Or any of them here, freaking weird noises they make.

http://www.findsounds.com/isapi/search.dll?keywords=rabbit

Didn't sound like a magpie but the rabbit sounded similar. I Just youTubed owls and this was even closer
    https://youtu.be/uTu0a1wd9-M

It was a hell of a sound to hear coming out of the woods on a dark night up a small narrow country lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Didn't sound like a magpie but the rabbit sounded similar. I Just youTubed owls and this was even closer
    https://youtu.be/uTu0a1wd9-M

It was a hell of a sound to hear coming out of the woods on a dark night up a small narrow country lane

Sweet holy crap. I would literally run for my life if I heard that out of nowhere......and I live in the countryside!

Kovu wrote: »
    Sweet holy crap. I would literally run for my life if I heard that out of nowhere......and I live in the countryside!

In fairness I was bringing our pitbull out to go do her business so I wasn't very worried and neither was she!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

my guess would have been a Vixen but you've ruled that out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Do we have possums in Ireland. Heard some once in Australia, and nearly set the heart crossways in me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Do we have possums in Ireland. Heard some once in Australia, and nearly set the heart crossways in me.

:) No we don't.

OP, without hearing it anything suggested is a pure guess really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

talking of monsters that lurk in the night, a friend of mine in England had Munjak Deer in her garden and was worried they might eat her cats, (really)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Barn owls can make some pretty blood curdling noises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Banshee?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Badgers can make a lot of screeching noises when playing, but the worst racket I ever heard was a vixen chasing her grown cubs away from the den before she had the new cubs,

• Advertisement
Advertisement