Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Passenger Ferry Services to/from island of Ireland

Options
  • 07-02-2016 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

2016 Current Passenger Ferry Services to/from the island of Ireland (From North to South) Rev#1

Ferryports in Northern Ireland:

Larne, County Antrim:
    Cairnryan to Larne (P&O Ferries)

Belfast, County Antrim:
    Liverpool to Belfast (Stena Line)
    Cairnryan to Belfast (Stena Line)
    Douglas (IoM) to Belfast (Isle of Man Steam Packet Company)
    Ferryports in the Republic of Ireland:

Dublin Port, County Dublin:

Douglas (IoM) to Dublin Port (Isle of Man Steam Packet Company)
    Liverpool to Dublin Port (P&O Ferries)
    Holyhead to Dublin Port (Stena Line)
    Holyhead to Dublin Port (Irish Ferries)
    Cherbourg to Dublin Port (ICG/Irish Ferries)

Rosslare Europort,(operated by Iarnród Éireann/Irish Rail) County Wexford:

Fishguard to Rosslare (Stena Line)
    Pembroke Dock to Rosslare (Irish Ferries)
    Cherbourg to Rosslare (ICG/Irish Ferries)
    Roscoff to Rosslare (ICG/Irish Ferries)
    Cherbourg to Rosslare (Stena Line)

Cork (Ringaskiddy Ferry Terminal, County Cork):

Roscoff to Cork (Brittany Ferries) Service usually operates from late March until late October each year.

Notes:
    IoM denotes: Isle of Man
    P&O Ferries replaces the previous company name: P&O Irish Sea
    Larne to Troon ferry route closed by P&O Ferries
    Dún Laoghaire - Holyhead ferry route closed by Stena Line after they finally ceased all operations at Dún Laoghaire port.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

Your missing sea truck, from Dublin port and warrenpoint mostly a freight service but with limited passenger space. 12 cabins I think. Mostly used by truckers but I know a couple of lads that travelled to and from warrenpoint to heyshem by car. By the way you get 2 cans of beer with your dinner, it used to be 4 cans on a night crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

iopener wrote: »
    Your missing sea truck, from Dublin port and warrenpoint mostly a freight service but with limited passenger space. 12 cabins I think. Mostly used by truckers but I know a couple of lads that travelled to and from warrenpoint to heyshem by car. By the way you get 2 cans of beer with your dinner, it used to be 4 cans on a night crossing.

I decided not to include it as spaces on their services are extremely limited...a handful (i.e.) Max of 12 spaces according to their website!
    SeaTruck describe themselves as a "Freight Ferry" and from what I can make out, you must be Driver Accompanied so; No Foot Passengers are allowed on board unless they came accompanied the driver of a vehicle! I also removed a Heysham to Belfast service operated by Stena Line as that service is essentially freight only too so I have tried to be fair and consistent. That is why I decided to label it as Passenger Ferry Services as the ones listed should reflect this. Cheers for the heads-up on SeaTruck anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ballycastle to Islay and Campbelltown are passenger only services

L1011 wrote: »
    Ballycastle to Islay and Campbelltown are passenger only services

I have since researched the route you referenced and while I accept that it is indeed a passenger-only ferry, the services you referenced are not major routes that are widely used by a large volume of people given the very small size of the vessels such as the "Kintyre Express" which only has a max of 12 passengers! You could not really compare it to those services operated by P&O Ferries, Stena Line, Irish Ferries, Brittany Ferries etc;

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I have since researched the route you referenced and while I accept that it is indeed a passenger-only ferry, the services you referenced are not major routes that are widely used by a large volume of people given the very small size of the vessels such as the "Kintyre Express" which only has a max of 12 passengers! You could not really compare it to those services operated by P&O Ferries, Stena Line, Irish Ferries, Brittany Ferries etc;

If I want to go with 3 other people what does it matter if the service also carries 9 or 900 others?

You are not including A because of reason X, B because of reason Y and everything else because you just can't be arsed?

This thread is pointless in the extreme.

A few years ago, the mods and some posters on the C+T board compiled a COMPREHENSIVE list of ferry services from Ireland, perhaps if you want to be useful you could update it to current status rather than posting up an arbitrary list of your favourites.

LINK

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »
    If I want to go with 3 other people what does it matter if the service also carries 9 or 900 others?

You are not including A because of reason X, B because of reason Y and everything else because you just can't be arsed?

This thread is pointless in the extreme.

A few years ago, the mods and some posters on the C+T board compiled a COMPREHENSIVE list of ferry services from Ireland, perhaps if you want to be useful you could update it to current status rather than posting up an arbitrary list of your favourites.

LINK

Who the hell do you think you are?

If I choose to post up a list..I will do so with or without your approval mate!

Maybe the mods should have been arsed to update the so called comprehensive list of ferry services to/from Ireland then rather than let it become an outdated version in the first instance. And while we are on the subject, what did U do personally do about it yourself lately apart from criticize anyone else who made some effort to update same in the interim period? By the way, I don't recall inserting statements to the effect that the list I compiled was "comprehensive" or was the "definitive version" or that it included every single vessel that carries some passengers that leaves Irish shores in 2016 at all! It's the main passenger ferry services that operate to/from Ireland not every tom, dick and harry operating a boat! FFS!

You are clearly a very, very angry poster who could NOT accept my reasons for refusing to include your suggestion for including a Freight Ferry service operated by SeaTrucks as I recognize your tone from another forum on the same topic only very recently. Otherwise it is a remarkable coincidence :rolleyes: Get a life lad, I don't take you seriously at all. You need to drop the vendetta as I suspect. Make your own list if you feel that strongly or else put up or shout up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Eh, if it suits you to put up a list of "AYR's more or less arbitrarily selected ferry routes", none of us would have a problem with it. But as it is the contents of your first post aren't what the title describes. Someone like me, newly arrived in this country, would have no idea you really meant, "oh, just the ones I wanted to list". No anger, no rancor, just glad someone spoke up so I didn't think your list was a comprehensive one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod: You need to dial your posting style right down otherwise your posting privileges risk being curtailed.

Do not reply to this post on thread.

Who the hell do you think you are?

If I choose to post up a list..I will do so with or without your approval mate!

Maybe the mods should have been arsed to update the so called comprehensive list of ferry services to/from Ireland then rather than let it become an outdated version in the first instance. And while we are on the subject, what did U do personally do about it yourself lately apart from criticize anyone else who made some effort to update same in the interim period? By the way, I don't recall inserting statements to the effect that the list I compiled was "comprehensive" or was the "definitive version" or that it included every single vessel that carries some passengers that leaves Irish shores in 2016 at all! It's the main passenger ferry services that operate to/from Ireland not every tom, dick and harry operating a boat! FFS!

You are clearly a very, very angry poster who could NOT accept my reasons for refusing to include your suggestion for including a Freight Ferry service operated by SeaTrucks as I recognize your tone from another forum on the same topic only very recently. Otherwise it is a remarkable coincidence :rolleyes: Get a life lad, I don't take you seriously at all. You need to drop the vendetta as I suspect. Make your own list if you feel that strongly or else put up or shout up!

http://www.discoverferries.com/

This 2016 website listing seems to have all of the major passenger ferry services to/from the UK to various countries including Ireland but it seems that the Discover Ferries web listing also omitted Seatruck ferries as I've not seen any reference to it at the time of writing and I would doubt it was a careless oversight or just an arbitrary selection on the part of Discover Ferries as they sought to promote "National Ferry Fortnight 5-19 March 2016 Discover Ferries"

http://www.discoverferries.com/national-ferry-fortnight/

With all this in mind, I suspect that Discover Ferries must have adopted a similar view to me that Seatruck ferries is not aimed at your typical passengers like the other ferry companies on the basis that Seatruck ferries do describe themselves as "The Only Dedicated Freight Ferry Company On The Irish Sea" according to Seatruck's own website: www.seatruckferries.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

And looking at Seatrucks own website it does quite clearly state that Cars and Motor homes are accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its an established, licenced passenger service none the less. Either you're trying to have a comprehensive updated list or you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The list is missing the ferry to Rathlin
    The ferry across Strangford lough,
    Ballyhack to Passage East
    Passage West to Cobh
    Tarbert to Kilimor
    Doolin to Inis Oirr
    Ros a Mhíl to the 3 Aran islands

Just to flesh out the services I've travelled on as a passenger...

Advertisement