Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a camper

Options
  • 06-02-2016 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

I am interested in importing a Rapido Motorhome Rapido 962M with garage it is 2002 on a Mercedes chassis. I would like to know what VRT should be paid on it. It is valued at 32,000 euro in Italy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭niloc1951

sunchaser wrote: »
    I am interested in importing a Rapido Motorhome Rapido 962M with garage it is 2002 on a Mercedes chassis. I would like to know what VRT should be paid on it. It is valued at 32,000 euro in Italy.

It matters not what it's valued in Italy.
    It is the opinion of The Revenue of what it's OMSP ( which is the value including VRT) would be here and you pay 13.5% VRT of that figure.

A good one should be about the same price here, if you could find one, so importing would have the additional cost of bringing one to Ireland plus probably/possibly an additional €4k+ VRT all adding up to probably €5k more than it would be worth here.

Remember the VRT is added to the OMSP or put another way what it would be worth here after VRT is paid so basically its a tax on a figure which already includes the tax !!!!! it must be illegal :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

sunchaser wrote: »

Do a web search for similar vehicles and if you can get 3, in any part of the EU (PERHAPS ANY PART OF EUROPE, I'm not sure) that are lower priced then you can use them to make a case to Revenue if their OMSP is higher.
    You will have to adjust for different VRT etc - all of the relevant documentation and how to go about valuing is on the Revenue web site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭niloc1951

piuswal wrote: »
    Do a web search for similar vehicles and if you can get 3, in any part of the EU (PERHAPS ANY PART OF EUROPE, I'm not sure) that are lower priced then you can use them to make a case to Revenue if their OMSP is higher.
    You will have to adjust for different VRT etc - all of the relevant documentation and how to go about valuing is on the Revenue web site.

An appeal can only be lodged after the requested VRT has been paid over and there is no guarantee that a reduction will be granted and a part refund given.

While I accept VRT has to be paid the fact that unlike cars there is no Revenue VRT Calculator which can give a potential importer guidance on the likely VRT payable on motor caravans sucks.

It is unique in that it is the only transaction attracting a tax in which the tax liability of the transaction is unknown until after the purchase transaction is complete.
    It must be illegal and against all sorts of tax codes, imagine buying a house and not knowing the stamp duty amount until after the sale is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Agent_47

niloc1951 wrote: »
    An appeal can only be lodged after the requested VRT has been paid over and there is no guarantee that a reduction will be granted and a part refund given.

While I accept VRT has to be paid the fact that unlike cars there is no Revenue VRT Calculator which can give a potential importer guidance on the likely VRT payable on motor caravans sucks.

It is unique in that it is the only transaction attracting a tax in which the tax liability of the transaction is unknown until after the purchase transaction is complete.
    It must be illegal and against all sorts of tax codes, imagine buying a house and not knowing the stamp duty amount until after the sale is closed.
    Thanks for this niloc but it does not show a VW California. If I select a VW caravelle am I on the right track? If so, then if I import a LHD Cali brand new it indicates an eye watering €23,272 VRT and an OMSP of €68k!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Thanks for this niloc but it does not show a VW California. If I select a VW caravelle am I on the right track? If so, then if I import a LHD Cali brand new it indicates an eye watering €23,272 VRT and an OMSP of €68k!

Think you missed niloc's point that there is NO VRT calculator for campers - the one on the revenue site is only for cars/vans. There is no way to be sure how much VRT you will have to pay until after you start the submission process. Don't think the rate they use for cars is the same rate as campervans which is 13% i.e. If the OMSP on the California is €75k (I suspect it is higher) then the vrt will be about €10k

• Advertisement
Advertisement