Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How useful are those ski/board lessons in Dublin ski clubs/centres?

• 05-02-2016 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, long story short - going back to France again on 28th of February, still a beginner, have instructor booked for holiday too to learn more snowboarding.

Just wondering - are those snowboard/ski lessons that are offered in Dublin any useful? How do they compare to real slopes and handling on snow?

I would like to know more or be prepared better when I arrive to Resort.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Personally, I think you get more out of them if you're a total beginner. You save those few days in the resort getting to know how to do the absolute basics, carrying gear, putting on gear, a few turns etc. If you have lessons sorted over there, I'd stick with those. Being on snow is a totally different experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

olaola wrote: »
    Personally, I think you get more out of them if you're a total beginner. You save those few days in the resort getting to know how to do the absolute basics, carrying gear, putting on gear, a few turns etc. If you have lessons sorted over there, I'd stick with those. Being on snow is a totally different experience.

How does it feel compared to real snow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

arleitiss wrote: »
    Hey, long story short - going back to France again on 28th of February, still a beginner, have instructor booked for holiday too to learn more snowboarding.

Just wondering - are those snowboard/ski lessons that are offered in Dublin any useful? How do they compare to real slopes and handling on snow?

I would like to know more or be prepared better when I arrive to Resort.

Incredibly beneficial regardless of your standard! Dendix/snowfles (Ski Club of Ireland) surfaces are different to snow, in the fact that they provide more friction, less grip and are not as forgiving, but the techniques are the same. However the closed environment and focused teaching, allows for a better learning environment.

Fattes wrote: »
    Incredibly beneficial regardless of your standard! Dendix/snowfles (Ski Club of Ireland) surfaces are different to snow, in the fact that they provide more friction, less grip and are not as forgiving, but the techniques are the same. However the closed environment and focused teaching, allows for a better learning environment.

I've booked lessons with these guys:
    http://www.skiclub.ie/

Would you say it's harder on these surfaces or on snow?

I've booked lessons with these guys:
    http://www.skiclub.ie/

Would you say it's harder on these surfaces or on snow?

A little more challenging, yes but will be easy to see the rewards when you get on snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ezekel

I sent my son for lessons at skiclub.ie about 8 years ago, the instruction was first class and enabled me to bring him on easier on the slopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Did them before I ever went skiing and really helped. friends that are still in Dublin go up before their ski trips to get back in the groove.

For the love of god don't put your hands down if you fall! or has that changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

A little more challenging, yes but will be easy to see the rewards when you get on snow.

I would second that. It is a little more difficult but that will just stand to you when you hit the slopes.
    It's 8 years now since I did mine but the instructors in the skiclub (Kilternan) were excellent.

Also the button lifts in kilternan are slower and thus easier to learn on that the ones in the resorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

To throw my 2 cents in:

If your an adult first timer I would say wait until you get to the snow; there's definitely something special about learning on the white stuff and everyone in a beginner's group will be in the same boat.

If you're not a beginner Kilternan might be a good idea if you want to get a refresher of the skiing movements before you head off. I went twice before my trip in January to break in my new boots. It functioned well for that purpose but it's not much fun; 2 minute~ drag lift for a 15 second ski on their longest slope.

Seifer wrote: »
    2 minute~ drag lift for a 15 second ski on their longest slope.
    Did you get lost on the way down? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Diemos wrote: »
    Did you get lost on the way down? :p

I was going to write 10 seconds and then figured some smart-ass would suggest I try putting in some turns :P

Seifer wrote: »
    I was going to write 10 seconds and then figured some smart-ass would suggest I try putting in some turns :P

Your probably using it wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Never tried it but would would be interested in opinions of those (experienced) that had.

Ii it anything like a real slope - changes every time you ski it cos of previous skiiers and melting or new snow?

Is there bumps or is it just like a virgin groomed slope first ting in the morning?

Is it really just a few seconds worth of piste each time or could you get a few turns in?

btw do you need to bring anything with you when going to those ski centres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Steve wrote: »
    Never tried it but would would be interested in opinions of those (experienced) that had.

Ii it anything like a real slope - changes every time you ski it cos of previous skiiers and melting or new snow?

Is there bumps or is it just like a virgin groomed slope first ting in the morning?

Is it really just a few seconds worth of piste each time or could you get a few turns in?

No changes in the slope, apart from new vs worn out dendex on the slope!

No bumps, dendex is like chicken wire with bristles, snowflex is a little nicer and softer - bouncy version of astroturf. Dendex is on the main and intermediate slopes and snowflex is on the beginner slope.

Main slope is 180m, Inter slope is 150m, plenty of length to get a few turns in.

Gloves are mandatory, I'd recommend waterproof/repellent trousers and ski socks (football socks would do the job either)

I learned how to snowboard in Kilternan without ever being on the white fluffy stuff, can't recommend it enough. It's very unforgiving, but that just makes you work harder on your technique. When on snow I didn't know myself, made things so much easier.

stevire wrote: »
    No changes in the slope, apart from new vs worn out dendex on the slope!

No bumps, dendex is like chicken wire with bristles, snowflex is a little nicer and softer - bouncy version of astroturf. Dendex is on the main and intermediate slopes and snowflex is on the beginner slope.

Main slope is 180m, Inter slope is 150m, plenty of length to get a few turns in.

Gloves are mandatory, I'd recommend waterproof/repellent trousers and ski socks (football socks would do the job either)

I learned how to snowboard in Kilternan without ever being on the white fluffy stuff, can't recommend it enough. It's very unforgiving, but that just makes you work harder on your technique. When on snow I didn't know myself, made things so much easier.

I can wear my snowboard trousers but I am afraid I will roast to hell.

Gloves a change of pants, slope has a misting system so you get wet.

Other that that all is provided wrap up warm it gets cold up there

I can wear my snowboard trousers but I am afraid I will roast to hell.

I'd recommend the snowboard trousers due to the misting system Fattes has mentioned and it can be quite cold.... The wind will cut through you up there!!

stevire wrote: »

I could not agree more. It will punish any holes in your technique more than snow will. I think it's a fantastic learning tool. I thought the coaches were great also.

Well I am back.
    I only have 3 letters to spell: OMG.

That was so amazing, I honestly did not expect such feeling of it, I thought: "hmm, a brush.... okay..." but damn the technology is so simple and yet so effective, the sprinklers are bitch though, I sat down to attach my self to board few times only to notice it's raining :D

And god oh god I can't express how glad I am that I was suggested to wear snowboard trousers, I was gonna wear tracksuit but I would be wet as frog by now.
    I wore:

Water repellant Schoffel with straps trousers - they are dry like nothing happened (water just ran down).
    My winter jacket (didn't want to wear my snowboard jacket as I was roasting even when I was in Alps just wearing t shirt underneath), it's wet outside completely but dry inside. It's waterproof I guess.
    Plain sweater underneath - not even a bit wet (didn't get through jacket)
    My Salomon gloves (they are wet outside but dry on inside)

So glad I went with that set instead of: Tracksuit and gloves, some other guys were wearing tracksuits and they appeared to be swimming after 20 minutes.

As for practical part:
    I really lack confidence - because of that - I underestimated myself to absolute 0 (I went to alps recently but twisted my ankle badly on 3-4th day so couldn't proceed with lessons) so I assumed I am complete 0 and can't do anything.
    I was able to have front leg strapped and push myself around track.
    I was able to do heel slides straight, swinging from side to side and repositioning myself into straight run.
    I was able to do toe slide (took a bit to get used to it on that surface).
    I was able to go down as normal then brake easily.

So it was fun and I see why people said dry slopes are unforgiving - it really feels harder, when I was going down full speed and decide to brake quick - instead of board digging deeper into surface - it just slipped and I landed on my back - on snow that never happened to me, I guess because there is that much you can dig into brushy surface - it's not like snow which will keep digging in.

Also I realized - it's much easier to hold balance without backpack - as I used to do back in Alps few months ago - question though: where do you keep water? I drink a lot.

Brushy surface felt more like a thin layer of snow that is limited in depth.

It was great. Can't wait for next thursday.

• Advertisement

Well I am back.
    I only have 3 letters to spell: OMG.

That was so amazing, I honestly did not expect such feeling of it, I thought: "hmm, a brush.... okay..." but damn the technology is so simple and yet so effective, the sprinklers are bitch though, I sat down to attach my self to board few times only to notice it's raining :D

And god oh god I can't express how glad I am that I was suggested to wear snowboard trousers, I was gonna wear tracksuit but I would be wet as frog by now.
    I wore:

Water repellant Schoffel with straps trousers - they are dry like nothing happened (water just ran down).
    My winter jacket (didn't want to wear my snowboard jacket as I was roasting even when I was in Alps just wearing t shirt underneath), it's wet outside completely but dry inside. It's waterproof I guess.
    Plain sweater underneath - not even a bit wet (didn't get through jacket)
    My Salomon gloves (they are wet outside but dry on inside)

So glad I went with that set instead of: Tracksuit and gloves, some other guys were wearing tracksuits and they appeared to be swimming after 20 minutes.

As for practical part:
    I really lack confidence - because of that - I underestimated myself to absolute 0 (I went to alps recently but twisted my ankle badly on 3-4th day so couldn't proceed with lessons) so I assumed I am complete 0 and can't do anything.
    I was able to have front leg strapped and push myself around track.
    I was able to do heel slides straight, swinging from side to side and repositioning myself into straight run.
    I was able to do toe slide (took a bit to get used to it on that surface).
    I was able to go down as normal then brake easily.

So it was fun and I see why people said dry slopes are unforgiving - it really feels harder, when I was going down full speed and decide to brake quick - instead of board digging deeper into surface - it just slipped and I landed on my back - on snow that never happened to me, I guess because there is that much you can dig into brushy surface - it's not like snow which will keep digging in.

Also I realized - it's much easier to hold balance without backpack - as I used to do back in Alps few months ago - question though: where do you keep water? I drink a lot.

Brushy surface felt more like a thin layer of snow that is limited in depth.

It was great. Can't wait for next thursday.

Great to hear that you enjoyed it.

It will give you so much confidence when you get back on snow.
    Put extra time and effort into toe slides, it will pay handsomely when you start turning on to your toeside.

As for the back, maybe invest in a small camelbak bag like thiscamelbak-octane-xct-3l-hydration-pack-skydiver-black-cm62229.jpg or this camelbak-luxe-diva-blue.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭magnavox

My 2 cents on learning to snowboard in Kilternan. I did the half day course they put on from time to time. I had skied previously.

Have to say it was brilliant, the snowflex is an amazingly forgiving surface for snowboarders to start learning on. Falling onto that stuff was a dream. So much softer than falling onto a beginner slope of real snow. We had a great instructor and got a lot done in the half day.

Moving from the snowflex to the dendrix was a different story pain wise. It hurt to fall quite a bit more. I've was told by everyone that if you can get the technique on the dendrix that the real thing is so much easier. Before getting on snow I had healside turns down and an idea of toeside (could manage them on the snowflex, think I had a phobia of them on the dendrix:D)

Once on actual snow and everything clicked. After an hour or so linking turns was grand. Everything felt way easier than on the dendrix/snowflex.

Basically if you want to learn snowboarding give it a lash in Kilternan before you go. You'll minimise the pain part of the learning curve and snow will be so much easier when you get out to it. I'm recommending it to all my friends who are thinking of learning.

Was on 2nd lesson today.
    Kind of surprised how many people showed up (last time 20+, today: 4) can't believe that many people gave up.
    Definetely feel much more confident on board now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Inconspicuous

I thought I'd weigh in here with my own experience and ask a question I have if you don't mind.

I started snowboarding over 10 years ago and learned on snow first. The next year I took some lessons up in Kilternan before heading away and have to say that it was a completely different experience and I found it very difficult. The main reason is that it is nowhere near as forgiving as snow and it forces you to be better at your technique. It really was an invaluable experience that way as it brought us on no end for when we got to the real thing.

However as the years went on I found that i didn't return to Kilternan to practice as I found the slopes too short. That said, I probably would have benefited more had I actually gone back for lessons rather than just practice sessions.

Fast forward to this year and I'm back at Kilternan. For some insane reason I've decided to learn how to ski! :eek: Anyway, I started with the one day introduction course which I really enjoyed! The instruction was great and I was linking turns by the end of it on the main slope.

I've done a few lessons since and I'm feeling confident about getting on to the real stuff. The main reason I decided to learn here in Dublin first though, is that when I'm on holiday I want to get the most I can out of it which means I want to be able to get up into the hills and start exploring. Coming from a board (and being able to go anywhere I like) to skis, I know I'd be extremely frustrated being stuck on nursery slopes learning the basics when I know I could be up in the hills with all of my friends.

So while it may seem boring being on a small slope that doesn't feel like snow, for me its a means to an end. I'd rather spend time learning on an artificial slope and getting my technique right and then just skiing when I'm away on the real stuff :D

Anyway....if you've not got bored with my ramblings yet I've a quick question. My brother in law is recommending that I take a lesson out at the place in Sandyford. He's an experienced skier and took a lesson there a couple years ago after some surgery on his knee. He really enjoyed it and reckoned that it is better than Kilternan as you can get a longer run on the "slope" since its a belt.

I'm wondering if anyone here has done both and which they would recommend? I'm enjoying learning at Kilternan as it feels somewhat like a real slope, but I can see his point about getting in a longer run (so to speak)

Any advice?

For skiing, I've heard really good things about the ski centre in Sandyford.
    I've been there for a short demo on a board and while it did not click with me on that day, I've heard it works really well esp. on skis.

Was on 2nd lesson today.
    Kind of surprised how many people showed up (last time 20+, today: 4) can't believe that many people gave up.
    Definetely feel much more confident on board now :D

Great stuff!! :D

Would love to hear how you get on when get on to the white stuff too!!
    I'm wondering if anyone here has done both and which they would recommend? I'm enjoying learning at Kilternan as it feels somewhat like a real slope, but I can see his point about getting in a longer run (so to speak)

Any advice?

My girlfriend started learning in Kilternan as a skier, we both went to the Ski Centre in Sandyford on one of the open the days. I did boarding, she did skiing. She loved it and said it was much better than Kilternan, it's true about the endless slope too and you do get a short time to have the slope to yourself but generally there are a few of ye on the belt at the same time. It can be stop/start but you're going much longer than a slope in Kilternan when it's your turn on the belt.

I, as a boarder, hated it. It just felt too different, maybe just takes a little longer to get used to but I preferred the feeling of going downhill in Kilternan

Diemos wrote: »
    For skiing, I've heard really good things about the ski centre in Sandyford.
    I've been there for a short demo on a board and while it did not click with me on that day, I've heard it works really well esp. on skis.

I'll second that :)

Thanks for the advice lads. I'll probably give it a shot so and see how I get on. Can't really do much harm I suppose :pac:

Thanks for the advice lads. I'll probably give it a shot so and see how I get on. Can't really do much harm I suppose :pac:

Sandy ford has some advantages and disadvantages, the big disadvantage is forces, as you are static and the mat roles under you a large number of the forces you encounter are missing but it's worth a try

• Advertisement

Sandy ford has some advantages and disadvantages, the big disadvantage is forces, as you are static and the mat roles under you a large number of the forces you encounter are missing but it's worth a try

I'd love to try the conveyor belt but you are correct. All the technique in the world won't stop your upper thighs burning out when doing long slow technical turns. That is pure fitness and strength.

Steve wrote: »
    I'd love to try the conveyor belt but you are correct. All the technique in the world won't stop your upper thighs burning out when doing long slow technical turns. That is pure fitness and strength.

Steve, technique is exactly what stops your thighs burning, relying on skeletal alignment yo do most of the work and reducing strain on your muscles

Steve, technique is exactly what stops your thighs burning, relying on skeletal alignment yo do most of the work and reducing strain on your muscles

I know and I wish I had it lol.

My instructor was getting me to do looooong turns - 10-15 seconds to complete, it works wonders and I gained loads of muscle memory from it but it burns you out real quick. Was just wondering (and doubting) if the same could be done on a conveyor slope.

I am actually rather surprised that I have 0 muscle pain in legs at all and rather have it in upper body.
    I mean you don't really move much upper body.

Yeah, having looked at it a little more, I think I'll stick with Kilternan. Heading off to the real thing in a couple weeks so will stick with what I'm used to in order to keep working on my technique rather than having to get familiar with a different environment and experience.

Thanks for all the help lads!

Advertisement