Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLace names

Options
  • 05-02-2016 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Hi,

sorry if this is in the wrong section but I was just wondering if anyone could help with the translation of 2 names of local features close to me.

There is a small bog up the road from me and we have always called it "curranban". However I have done some research on a local tomb beside me and the NIEA have it recorded as "Carnanbane" which I presume is the same name as what we have always called the small bog beside me. I presume that this is something white - coming from the Irish "Bán". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also there is a small lough close to me. Everyone in our locality has always called it "James' Lough" after an old man who lived in a house beside the lough years ago.

On OS maps this lough is called "Loughtoornakeragh".

I have limited Irish and cannot think of what this would translate to from Irish?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    ET

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

"Loughtoornakeragh"
    Loch ………………..lake
    tuar ………………..small enclosed field
    na gcaoraigh ……of the sheep.

"Carnanbane"
    Carnán……………..little cairn (-án is the dimunitive)
    Bán……………….. white

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭EastTyrone

that makes a lot of sense!! thanks Pedroeibar1!!!

Advertisement