Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High mileage Audi A5 1.8 TSFI. Madness?

Options
  • 05-02-2016 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭

Spotted what looks like a nice Audi A5 with the 1.8 170hp engine that I might go take a look at. Only potential stumbling block is the 120k miles (194k km) on the clock. It's a one owner fsh car with NCT to 2017 so I'd be happy that it's an honest yoke. Just wondering how these cars and engines handle the miles.

Am I right in thinking that these have a chain driven cam?

Any other potential pitfalls to watch for?

I'd be trading up a few years from my '02 320Ci but mine is running perfectly and has fewer miles.

Am I mad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

What year is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

That car is 8 years old at this stage, and has an average of 15k per year. Granted it's higher than "average", but it's not intergalactic.
    I'd not be too worried about it since it has a full service history, but saying that, it is getting to the age/mileage when things will start needing replacing.

Nice looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Stupid bloody double post again!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

milltown wrote: »
    Spotted what looks like a nice Audi A5 with the 1.8 170hp engine that I might go take a look at. Only potential stumbling block is the 120k miles (194k km) on the clock. It's a one owner fsh car with NCT to 2017 so I'd be happy that it's an honest yoke. Just wondering how these cars and engines handle the miles.

Am I right in thinking that these have a chain driven cam?

Any other potential pitfalls to watch for?

I'd be trading up a few years from my '02 320Ci but mine is running perfectly and has fewer miles.

Am I mad?

I'm in the motor trade & I know of the dealer quite well. They do care about the cars they choose to sell. Usually 1 owner, fsh, the type of cars you'd want to buy.

Full AUDI service history on 8yr old 1 owner is rare in Ireland. Best way to put your mind at ease is go see the car and what deal they give you, whether you're trading in your 320ci or not. Ask for a copy of the service history and contact the dealer to verify the mileage and the maintenance it's had and ask what it's likely to need over the next few years and make a decision based on that.

Nice looking car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I'm 99.9% sure that car was owned by a postman in Newbridge, i don't know when i'll see him again but i can ask about it for you, if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Those engines are known for burning oil and also can give timing chain trouble so the more you can find out about it the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

tossy wrote: »
    I'm 99.9% sure that car was owned by a postman in Newbridge, i don't know when i'll see him again but i can ask about it for you, if you want.

One lady owner from new apparently, maybe his wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

tanko wrote: »
    One lady owner from new apparently, maybe his wife.

Pretty sure every single car for sale in Ireland is owned by a lady :pac: I genuinely fail to see what gender has to do with it.

Just so you know, the average mileage for 2008 is 145k km, and that's based on a result set of 2000 cars.

Mintoe wrote: »
    I'm in the motor trade & I know of the dealer quite well. They do care about the cars they choose to sell. Usually 1 owner, fsh, the type of cars you'd want to buy.

I'll tell him you said that. He's my brother :)

• Advertisement

I had a chat with the previous owner this morning, turns out it actually was his wifes car, the reason for the high miles is it was used on a daily commute from Newbridge to Portlaoise so all motorway miles.

He said he never had any trouble with it and as soon as it ever needed or wanted anything it went to sheehys.

I had a chat with the previous owner this morning, turns out it actually was his wifes car, the reason for the high miles is it was used on a daily commute from Newbridge to Portlaoise so all motorway miles.

He said he never had any trouble with it and as soon as it ever needed or wanted anything it went to sheehys.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

The link you added earlier is no longer working. Has it been sold?

The link you added earlier is no longer working. Has it been sold?

Yep. Appears to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Just stumbled upon this thread when searching for A5's I'm looking to get some information on the 1.8 ones myself.

Anyway, the original link to the add off the dealer has been removed, I I don't suppose this is it here back in sale on done deal? I 120k miles 1.8...jist a coincidence if not :)

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/stunning-audi-a5-1-8tfsi-2008/11595420?sv=true

Definitely not the same car anyway.
    The original one I posted was a D reg and had beige leather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Oh right, couldn't see the link as I said so didn't have a clue.

Did you get a new car in the end?

Ended up in a 10D BMW 320 diesel M-sport coupe. Got too good a deal to say no to.
    I'm a happy camper!

Advertisement