Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New GAA.ie website

Options
  • 05-02-2016 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭

Anyone been on the new gaa.ie website?

It is atrocious.
    I hope too much money wasn't wasted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yeah, was on it there a few days ago. Was looking for a fixture list (that took me 2.4 nano seconds to find on the old site) and I just gave up in the end. Atrocious stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Yup agree - the old one was poor and the new one is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭doc_17

It's terrible! Went to have a read of that document with the breakdown of funding and it wasn't anywhere to be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I don't know what you're complaining about. I think it looks well for something that has been designed by a 4 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Browning

Have to agree, very poor overall given the resources available to a much better job. Do they not UAT these sites before letting them out into the wild. Within 30 secs of using it I was unimpressed, cannot find anything on the new version. Old format and structure much better and more user friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Have to agree, its terrible. I was giving them a week or 2 to be fair, its a huge site. Try finding the league tables, or master fixtures list? Downloads, where are they gone? They don't even have a sitemap.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

An unbelievably bad site. Whatever happened to the old adage "if it isn't broken, don't fix it"?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Have to agree, its terrible. I was giving them a week or 2 to be fair, its a huge site. Try finding the league tables, or master fixtures list? Downloads, where are they gone? They don't even have a sitemap.

I was able to find these fairly handy. I clicked "Football" then selected competition, "Allianz Football League", and across the top there are buttons for Results, Fixtures and tables. Got to it in 3 clicks.

That being said it looks like the site was designed for a mobile or tablet, will take a bit of getting used to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I was able to find these fairly handy. I clicked "Football" then selected competition, "Allianz Football League", and across the top there are buttons for Results, Fixtures and tables. Got to it in 3 clicks.

That being said it looks like the site was designed for a mobile or tablet, will take a bit of getting used to

em , yea, and for good reason, considering the market for the website is irish people
    Irish people are the biggest phone internet users in the western world, new global industry figures suggest. Statistics from Dublin-based research firm Statcounter show that Ireland has the highest penetration of phone internet users anywhere in Europe, North America or South America.
    At the same time, our use of PCs to access the internet in Ireland has slumped from 77pc to 56pc in the last two years.
    <snip>
    The proportion of web traffic on phones here is almost a third higher than the European average.
    <snip>
    Large-screen iPhones and Android handsets are causing people to ditch their desktop and laptop computers for all but office-related use, the figures indicate.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/irish-mobile-phone-usage-highest-in-the-western-world-global-stats-reveal-31480385.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

How people access the websites should be irrelevant, to it being an easy to navigate site. It is perfectly possible to write code & design the site, so that it functions well across a broad spectrum of devices. I did a course in web design once. I have no effing clue how to go about doing it, I just know that it can be done.

You don't see the likes of Boards.ie, Ryanair or the Indo telling people to piss off, if they are not accessing the site on a mobile device. So why should the GAA? The GAA website probably have more users over the age of 50 (who don't have tablets or smart phones) than the average website, so they should be mindful of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

I'm not a fan of the new website, it just seems to be hard to find things! It it wasn't exactly easy on the old one either! One positive is their search function does seem to work quite well.

On top of this, their live blog of congress so far has been excellent:

http://www.gaa.ie/live-updates/annual-congress-day-two/

Advertisement