Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vegetarian for a month vs going to mass and Jamie Vardy

Options
  • 04-02-2016 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Over lunchtime discussion of football today my friend expressed the belief that Man City will win the league. I disagreed and we ended up with the titular wager - if Man City win I have to attend mass (no cracker consumption required).

Should I have taken the bet? How can I inoculate my mind against pollution. Should I pray that Leicester hang on? I'm regretting my bet bigtime. Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Nobody says you have to pray, believe, or participate in Communion. After all, you didn't promise to be Catholic. Think of it as if you were an anthropologist visiting that jungle tribe whose mathematics is restricted to "one, two, many".

About being a vegetarian temporarily, you might as well give your body a break; I was one for several years myself.

About the sports, I have no opinion. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Man City are 6/5 on PP. I think your bet is touch and go.

Get ready to eat Jesus!

But maybe Jamie Vardy might prove to be the second coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Speedwell wrote: »

About being a vegetarian temporarily, you might as well give your body a break; I was one for several years myself.

Its him that has to do the veggie thing if City fail - I already do that (kind of :o)

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Man City are 6/5 on PP. I think your bet is touch and go.

Get ready to eat Jesus!

But maybe Jamie Vardy might prove to be the second coming.

I got out of the Jesus eating part on grounds of veggieness:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Just did nearly two weeks there without trying, just saw a load of veggie dishes I wanted to try. Didn't miss it. Then again had a rib eye steak tonight and it was one of the best things I've ever tasted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I got out of the Jesus eating part on grounds of veggieness:)
    Never thought of that. Are vegetarians exempt from eating the body of Christ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Gordon wrote: »

Dunno but there's gluten free wafers for those that need them. Why the bit changing the wafers into flesh can't be used to make the wafers gluten free during the magic bit of mass is the real mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gordon wrote: »
    I remember this coming up before and we worked out that cannibalism may not strictly be at odds with the vast majority of vegetarian belief sets provided that the individual involved consents and does not endure any non-consensual suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

seamus wrote: »
    I remember this coming up before and we worked out that cannibalism may not strictly be at odds with the vast majority of vegetarian belief sets provided that the individual involved consents and does not endure any non-consensual suffering.

Yeah, but if you're one for health reasons... have you seen the garbage they feed them with these days, and the amount of antibiotics they use? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,081 ✭✭✭✭looksee

lazygal wrote: »
    Dunno but there's gluten free wafers for those that need them. Why the bit changing the wafers into flesh can't be used to make the wafers gluten free during the magic bit of mass is the real mystery.

But the fact that the wafers become flesh automatically makes them gluten free? How did the church even convince itself that they need gluten free wafers? Think I might go over to Christianity and ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

looksee wrote: »
    But the fact that the wafers become flesh automatically makes them gluten free? How did the church even convince itself that they need gluten free wafers? Think I might go over to Christianity and ask.

Well, y'see, while the definitely and absolutely change totally they change in a way that is totally indistinguishable from not changing at all.

Or Jesus was made of bread. One or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Well, Leicester aren't actually very good when you get down to it, and Arsenal are, well.. they're Arsenal.

City are odds on to stumble over the line.

As bizarre as it may seem, Spurs could be your best hope, and I shudder to think what it's like to have to depend on them.

I think you're fairly screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Well, Leicester aren't actually very good when you get down to it, and Arsenal are, well.. they're Arsenal.

City are odds on to stumble over the line.

As bizarre as it may seem, Spurs could be your best hope, and I shudder to think what it's like to have to depend on them.

I think you're fairly screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kylith wrote: »
    Well, y'see, while the definitely and absolutely change totally they change in a way that is totally indistinguishable from not changing at all.
    As much as it sounds like you're taking the piss, when this exact conversation was had with Catholics here on boards, the above is the exact answer that was given;

"It totally changes, but not in any way that can be detected."

The explanation is that the "substance" of the bread changes, but the properties do not. In other words, "It's magic, stop asking".

The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (stop sniggering down the back), have declared that gluten-free host cannot be considered "bread" and therefore performing voodoo magic, sorry I mean consecration, has no effect on it. It's called "invalid matter" for the purposes of the eucharist.

Those with coeliac disease are supposed to take a sup of wine instead. If you're both coeliac and alcohol intolerant though, you're basically fncked. You have to suck it up "for the lord", or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

seamus wrote: »
    As much as it sounds like you're taking the piss, when this exact conversation was had with Catholics here on boards, the above is the exact answer that was given;

"It totally changes, but not in any way that can be detected."

The explanation is that the "substance" of the bread changes, but the properties do not. In other words, "It's magic, stop asking".

The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (stop sniggering down the back), have declared that gluten-free host cannot be considered "bread" and therefore performing voodoo magic, sorry I mean consecration, has no effect on it. It's called "invalid matter" for the purposes of the eucharist.

Those with coeliac disease are supposed to take a sup of wine instead. If you're both coeliac and alcohol intolerant though, you're basically fncked. You have to suck it up "for the lord", or something.

That got the catholic church into a lot of bother.

I think if Leicester do win, they'll be eating wafers of Vardy there for years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Did ye specify exactly what season man city would league in? Did your friend make the bet exclusive to 2015/16 premier league title?

Leicester 1-0 against Man City at half-time. Your bet is looking slightly better.

2-0 now.

What does your friend have to do if you win the bet?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    2-0 now.

What does your friend have to do if you win the bet?

He has to go veggie for a month (thread title)

• Advertisement

Our Jamie
    Who art in Leicester. Hallowed be thy name ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

You're looking safer and safer, OP. Man City slowly imploding... They're almost as bad as their city rivals.... :)

fisgon wrote: »
    You're looking safer and safer, OP. Man City slowly imploding... They're almost as bad as their city rivals.... :)

not so slowly even - if leicester had hung on for a draw yesterday it would have been great. Still 2 points up with 12 games left - maybe there is a god after all :eek::eek:

Advertisement