Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car insurance

Options
  • 03-02-2016 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice, I am hoping to move home after being abroad for 3/4 years and I have full clean irish licence for 10 years but I had my own cars insured before moving abroad.I had been a named driver on my parents cars until I was 25 but now I am 28 so havent needed to be a named driver.

Will I be hit with cost of having to start from scratch of a zero no claims bonus?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You may be able to transfer your no claims from the country you were living but any no claims you previously had in Ireland will have expired as it would lapse after 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

If you dont have any insurance while abroad you could be in trouble, if you did have insurance abroad it may be useful. Your no claims in ireland would have lapsed after 2 yrs.
    If you had been a named driver in ireland in the last 2 yrs maybe you still have a chance of a valid no claims bonus in ireland?? Not sure on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 elley29

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I haven't had insurance abroad so il be starting from scratch again and getting completely ripped off, i priced an car 09 1.6 and got 3300 for third party by a well known insunace company, they defiantly know how to put people off wanting or being able to move home again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement