Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Gym in Waterford

Options
  • 03-02-2016 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone have any recommendations for the best Gym in Waterford. One with a good cardio selection and free weights would be preferable.

I was considering Kingfisher as they have the pool and sauna also?

Any recommendations welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 lanno25

Goldstone is good and very reasonable its also undergoing a massive revamp and will be double the the size in the next 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

no such thing as the 'best' anything in life im afraid, all debatable. been a member in kingfisher for a while now. its grand but im sure theres plenty of other good places around the town. try as many out as you can before deciding. both kingfisher and crystal have public access and pay as you go options. not sure if theres others but wouldnt be surprised if there is. pay as you go will give you a chance to check places out before signing up. i wouldnt be surprised if you contacted the non public places and asked them for a free day pass just to check the places out, theyd be more than happy to. kingfisher gym is the only gym experience i have so i cant give you an honest opinion but it meets my needs. best of luck with the search

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

do a forum search!!! their has been loads of threads just same as this over the last couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Deise_vixen

As Wanderer78 said "best" is subjective. It really depends on what you want out of the gym.

I've been a member of both Kingfisher and Goldstone and for me Goldstone has been the "best" because I never used the pool in Kingfisher so was paying a higher membership fee for a facility I didn't use. However if you love to swim and would use the pool regularly then you would obviously have a different opinion.

I really like Goldstone as the membership fee is very reasonable, all the classes are free, there is a pretty good free weights area and as mentioned above it is undergoing a big expansion at the mo.

If you want to give it a go you can get a day pass to use the gym only (no classes) or you can pay by month.

Handy to try before you buy as they say!!

As Wanderer78 said "best" is subjective. It really depends on what you want out of the gym.

I've been a member of both Kingfisher and Goldstone and for me Goldstone has been the "best" because I never used the pool in Kingfisher so was paying a higher membership fee for a facility I didn't use. However if you love to swim and would use the pool regularly then you would obviously have a different opinion.

I really like Goldstone as the membership fee is very reasonable, all the classes are free, there is a pretty good free weights area and as mentioned above it is undergoing a big expansion at the mo.

If you want to give it a go you can get a day pass to use the gym only (no classes) or you can pay by month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 rugbytiger

Currently in the Woodlands for a three month membership. It's great and will be renewing.
    Was in Goldstone but I missed the pool to be honest. If you just want weights and cardio machines go there.
    Tried Crystal over the summer but, in my opinion, the place needs a massive revamp.
    Was in Kingfisher three years ago but left as they had no shower curtains ( I know, but no one needs to see my wobbly bits ;) )

You'll be waiting to get one of the day passes! I know a few people that applied for them and they've (kingfisher) have never bothered to reply to the email requests.

rugbytiger wrote: »
    You'll be waiting to get one of the day passes! I know a few people that applied for them and they've (kingfisher) have never bothered to reply to the email requests.
    she's on about goldstone though, at the moment goldstone are under a massive expansion plan as they bought the unit beside then and are at the moment under construction in there and when finished plan to be the biggest gym in ireland, don't see much other gyms investing massive like this these days and are creating two full time jobs for fitness instructors also, worth the look anyway people if ye dont swim but do the gym

she's on about goldstone though, at the moment goldstone are under a massive expansion plan as they bought the unit beside then and are at the moment under construction in there and when finished plan to be the biggest gym in ireland, don't see much other gyms investing massive like this these days and are creating two full time jobs for fitness instructors also, worth the look anyway people if ye dont swim but do the gym

Spot on Cookie Monster I was on about Goldstone! You can buy a one day gym pass on their website for €8 or you can try one of the non-member spin classes for €7. Looking forward to the expanded gym when it's finished :)

Spot on Cookie Monster I was on about Goldstone! You can buy a one day gym pass on their website for €8 or you can try one of the non-member spin classes for €7. Looking forward to the expanded gym when it's finished :)
    same here, only rejoined after training for a few months in gp fitness in tramore looking forward to seeing what new gear they bring in

• Advertisement

To be fair,Deise Vixen was on about both in her post. Therefore I put in kingfisher in brackets to specify who I was talking about.
    (Would have been nice if the poster had reread her post for clarity and syntax before posting to save everyone the grief).

Therefore cookie.monster you should have noticed that. Not trying to read anything in to what people post but I wanted other posters to be aware of the fact that Kingfisher are not replying to any requests for day passes.

It's ST**E like this that puts me off boards.ie - it's supposed to be about sharing information rather than point scoring.
    **flys off for another two years from boards****

Advertisement