Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design and Manufacturing Dissertation

Options
  • 03-02-2016 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi everyone. I'm wondering if anyone out there working in design and manufacturing could shed some light on my dissertation.

Titled: How can process engineering be used for a smoother transfer of an R&D prototype to manufacture?

I've included a short questionnaire below. Also any guidance/input would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Course
    BSc. Process and Engineering Management

1. What type of products does your company manufacture?

BOX FILL

2. What process type does your company use for manufacture?

Project

Job Shop

Batch

Mass

3. What process layout does your company use?

Fixed Positioned Layout.

Functional / Process Layout (Grouped processes)

Product Layout (Straight Flow)

Cellular Layout

4. What process methods does your company use for the smooth transfer of R&D to manufacture?

BOX FILL

5. For product development, is manufacturing involved early in the design stage.

YES/NO

6. How would you rate the importance of including manufacturing early in the product design stage?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

7. Does your company use ‘DFMA’ (Design for Manufacture and Assembly) methods in the design stage?

YES/NO

8. How important do you consider DFMA manufacturing performance.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 N/A

9. Does your company incorporate other DFX methods? (Design for X, ‘X’ being a specific property or life cycle process. Examples inc. Design for manufacture, cost, quality, reliability Serviceability.

YES/NO

If so, give a brief description below.

10. How does your company rate the importance of a product design catering for the Lean Manufacturing?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

11. What methods does your company use to prevent risk in the transfer betwee design and manufacture?

BOX FILL

12. During the evaluation of a product prototype, which of the following do your company use?

Functional analysis:

Feeding/Handling analysis:

Fixing analysis

Other (BOX)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm not going to answer your questions as I dont work in R&D but one thing I learned from my MBA was there is a massive disconnect between what R&D want to do and what manufacturing when you scale up. There is a lot of research on this topic.

Advertisement