Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a good midrange phone

Options
  • 03-02-2016 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, I would like to spend around 300 - 350 on a phone.

I was just about to get a Nexus 5X for 319 but it seems the battery life is awful, doesnt last a whole day with normal use.

I want,

Good camera, above average for price
    5" screen, would consider a 5.5"
    Good battery, above average for price
    Decent build quality

Phones ive considered

Oneplus X, seems the camera and battery are not great.
    Galaxy S5, might be the way to go, bit old maybe?
    Nexus 5 X Battery poor.
    Oneplus 2, seems to tick the boxes other than being 5.5" and a little expensive.
    HTC m9 bit too expensive, had a look at one and it didnt feel like it was worth it.
    Asus zenfone, apparently camera is awful.

Im coming from a moto G which i dont like, dies between 5 and 9pm each day, too small, slow, awful camera is anything other than ideal conditions.

Any suggestions or comments welcome, im starting to get a bit frustrated, maybe i should just spend more money, get a S6 or just get the oneplus 2 and see how a bigger phone is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

The Oppo R7 ticks all on your list. Fantastic battery life, a couple of days easy! Charges in about 20 mins when you do need to charge it. Great camera, very good picks. Well built etc... I have the R7 plus, which may be a bit bigger than you want but is, for the money, an awesome phone. No complaints whatsoever about it. Definitely consider the Oppo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Consider the oneplus one instead of the oneplus two. Reviews for the OPT are apparently not the best and the OPO is still a seriously good phone for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    The Oppo R7 ticks all on your list. Fantastic battery life, a couple of days easy! Charges in about 20 mins when you do need to charge it. Great camera, very good picks. Well built etc... I have the R7 plus, which may be a bit bigger than you want but is, for the money, an awesome phone. No complaints whatsoever about it. Definitely consider the Oppo.

Where and when did you purchase and cost?

Thanks JD.

rowanh wrote: »
    Hey folks, I would like to spend around 300 - 350 on a phone.

I was just about to get a Nexus 5X for 319 but it seems the battery life is awful, doesnt last a whole day with normal use.

I want,

Good camera, above average for price
    5" screen, would consider a 5.5"
    Good battery, above average for price
    Decent build quality

Phones ive considered

Oneplus X, seems the camera and battery are not great.
    Galaxy S5, might be the way to go, bit old maybe?
    Nexus 5 X Battery poor.
    Oneplus 2, seems to tick the boxes other than being 5.5" and a little expensive.
    HTC m9 bit too expensive, had a look at one and it didnt feel like it was worth it.
    Asus zenfone, apparently camera is awful.

Im coming from a moto G which i dont like, dies between 5 and 9pm each day, too small, slow, awful camera is anything other than ideal conditions.

Any suggestions or comments welcome, im starting to get a bit frustrated, maybe i should just spend more money, get a S6 or just get the oneplus 2 and see how a bigger phone is.

Thanks for your post, I'm in exactly the same situation. I thought of the Moto X Play but I hear it has no notifcation lights AFAIK. JD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Greenman wrote: »
    You could buy direct from OPPO.

• Advertisement

Kavrocks wrote: »
    You could buy direct from OPPO.

Thanks. Any valid discount codes out there? smile.png

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Greenman wrote: »

Thanks JD.
    Bought from Amazon UK for €400 odd. That was the R7 plus. The R7 is a lot cheaper. Great phone, would buy again without hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Said it many times on other threads, save your cash and get the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 for 179 + 3 euro for the unlock code.

Fantastic phone at a great price.

Advertisement