Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing Two URL's

Options
  • 03-02-2016 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi any help greatly appreciated:

I've looking to cover two geographical areas (counties). The idea is to cover louth/meath so two websites they only change being the county (for SEO purposes). So for instance www.louthphones.ie and www.meathphones.ie. Is there a benefit to purchasing both domains and pointing to a generic site ie. www.northeastphones.ie.

What are the pit falls in relation to search? Is there anything I can do to cover all the boxes with one site?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

There's not really much to be gained by having multiple domains pointing to the same website. Google got wise to that a long time ago.

I'd go for the one generic domain but make sure there's content that covers both counties. For example you could make sure you include testimonials from a customer in Meath and another in Louth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You'll get much more bang for your buck prioritising local based keyword content and local social signals over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Registering the domains means that you'll have them and you can use them, but has others have pointed out, simply directed multiple domains to the same site won't help you with SEO etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Regardless of the SEO upside or downside to this I would have to say that in the bigger scheme of things that the geographical area of Louth ? Meath is too small to warrant any type of separation of content.

Are people searching for your product going to actually use those search terms?

Advertisement