Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One thing I can't get over about Rey

Options
  • 03-02-2016 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭

There is one thing that really removed me from the film that I don't think I can get over and it is Rey's accent. She has such an incredibly posh accent. It just kept bothering me. She lives as a scavenger after been abandoned and she somehow talks like just came out of a fancy school.
    It could be argued that maybe that is what a rough accent sounds like in that part of space but that doesn't fit with me as accents become duller and less iterate. Even if you haven't heard an accent before you can kind of tell a rough accent naturally as similar sounds get dropped. You won't find an accented English accent with well pronounced Ts that is from lower economic backgrounds.

It really bugged me am I the only one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    There is one thing that really removed me from the film that I don't think I can get over and it is Rey's accent. She has such an incredibly posh accent. It just kept bothering me. She lives as a scavenger after been abandoned and she somehow talks like just came out of a fancy school.
    It could be argued that maybe that is what a rough accent sounds like in that part of space but that doesn't fit with me as accents become duller and less iterate. Even if you haven't heard an accent before you can kind of tell a rough accent naturally as similar sounds get dropped. You won't find an accented English accent with well pronounced Ts that is from lower economic backgrounds.

It really bugged me am I the only one?

Maybe on Jakku that's a really common accent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I remember going to see the film and thinking that Rey and Finn would be really weak crappy dialogue characters, but I was so wrong, I thought they were both great, and the accent didn't really bother me, it's a Star Wars completely fictional universe - not even supposed be thought of as the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I remember going to see the film and thinking that Rey and Finn would be really weak crappy dialogue characters, but I was so wrong, I thought they were both great, and the accent didn't really bother me, it's a Star Wars completely fictional universe - not even supposed be thought of as the future.

It's not. It's the past.

It's not. It's the past.

I know , my point is the film is not trying to show us that maybe one day things will be this way like Star Trek for example.

It's based on nothing we humans have/are today.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Is that her natural accent? I have to say some of her lines threw me a little with it and I can't help but feel a more neutral accent would have been easier to watch. It didn't bother soo much that it took away from the film though.

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    Is that her natural accent? I have to say some of her lines threw me a little with it and I can't help but feel a more neutral accent would have been easier to watch. It didn't bother soo much that it took away from the film though.

Yes I think so , she has a very posh background , grandad was Lord earl rothery III, general in World War II ...or something similar :p

La di da !!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Then again if the
    Trained as a Jedi and Mind Wiped as a teenager
    theory turns out to be true although I wouldn't like it if it did then the accent could at least be explained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Watched a youtube video last night and the channel came up with a very plausible explanation for why Rey has her uppity British accent. It is not a mistake (Finn is British also but adopted a Yank accent for the film) and could be central.

I won't spoil anything but I'll give 3 hints:
    Who else had an uppity English accent?
    Rey's lightsaber technique is very similar to whose?
    When she had her vision, whose voice could be heard?

It was pure chance that i read this thread last night and then found that particular video (Star Wars theory) but if they are correct...damn!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,000 ✭✭✭Talisman

Watched a youtube video last night and the channel came up with a very plausible explanation for why Rey has her uppity British accent. It is not a mistake (Finn is British also but adopted a Yank accent for the film) and could be central.

I won't spoil anything but I'll give 3 hints:
    Who else had an uppity English accent?
    Rey's lightsaber technique is very similar to whose?
    When she had her vision, whose voice could be heard?

It was pure chance that i read this thread last night and then found that particular video (Star Wars theory) but if they are correct...damn!
    I'm not sure if spoilers are required but seeing as you brought it up...
    She's a Kenobi
    - We recently watched episodes 1-4 and it kind of stood out.

"If you live long enough, you see the same eyes in different people."

As fans we have lived quite a few life times in the Star Wars universe and can recognise the story line patterns. After seeing Episode VII for the first time I wasn't happy - it was a total rip off of Episode IV. Now I see the symmetry between the I-IV movies and Episode VII. There is a storyline thread which if it turns out to be true will be genius as it will tie all of the movies together.
    Obi-Wan: "That boy is our last hope."
    Yoda: "No... there is another..."

It has always been assumed that Yoda was referring to Leia, but relatively nothing is known of Kenobi's life in the 16/17 years between Episode III and VI. Everything we know of the character is based upon assumptions and the fragment of dialogue in Episode V can tie all of the movies together.

Watching the prequels again gave me a greater appreciation of the story that Lucas was telling. The Jedi Order and the council had lost their way by the time we saw them in Episode I. The council sat in their tower on Coruscant waiting a thousand years for a Sith invasion force to materialise. Without the Sith to challenge them, they became arrogant and this dulled their sense of the Force.

Mace Windu: "The boy has exceptional skills."
    Obi-Wan: "But he still has much to learn, Master. His abilities have made him... well arrogant."
    Yoda: "Yes. Yes. A flaw more and more common among Jedi. Too sure of themselves they are. Even the older, more experienced ones."

Meanwhile the Sith had adapted and were weaving a web around the Jedi. They waited as the Jedi suffocated their own ability to wield the Force. It's all there in the dialogue of the prequels, we were just too consumed by hatred of the unholy trinity that was Jar-Jar Binks, the stupid trade dispute and midichlorians to recognise it.

At some point after the defeat of the Sith, somebody (maybe Yoda) deemed it to be against the Jedi code to marry or have a family. Presumably this was all part of the grand plan to prepare the Jedi Order to fight the Sith, having a family could be a bit of a distraction. However on the flip side, the ability to wield the Force is in the bloodlines ... midichlorians!

"The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. And...my sister has it."

The Jedi gene pool dwindled away because the code abiding Jedi had no progeny. It's not hard to believe that after a thousand years the younglings joining the Jedi Order were the dregs of the midichlorian gene pool. Yoda was a kick-ass Jedi relative to the rest of the Order because he was born in a time when the midichlorian gene pool was strong. Yet as strong as he was, he couldn't beat Palpatine - if anything, their duel was a stalemate.

If Obi-wan fathered a child then it would stand to reason that they would also be a more than capable Force wielder like their father. If they were to have a child of their own, then it could possibly be Rey. All that remains is to fill in the blanks as to how she came to be abandoned on Jakku.

Anakin Skywalker was trained by Obi-wan Kenobi in the prequel trilogy. Luke Skywalker training Rey Kenobi in the final trilogy would close the loop - Ying and Yang aka balance. And a line of dialogue in the original trilogy ties it together: "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, but now I am the master."

Obi-wan established a bond with Luke on board the Millenium Falcon, he sacrificed himself at the hands of Darth Vader in front of Luke. Han Solo established a bond with Rey on board the Millenium Falcon, he sacrificed himself at the hands of Kylo Ren in front of Rey. A nice parallel or JJ Abrams couldn't think of a story line and decided to rip off Episode IV?

The parallels between Obi-wan sneaking around the Death Star in Episode IV and Rey at the Starkiller base are obvious.

The duels between Skywalker and Kenobi in Episode III & IV are mirrored in Episode VII and the Skywalker family members never won a single duel. Kenobi has always been superior to Skywalker in terms of wielding a light saber!

The mind control trick ...
    "You want to go home and rethink your life." - Episode II
    "These aren't the droids you're looking for." - Episode IV
    "You will remove these restraints and leave this cell with the door open." - Episode VII

The Skywalker family are hot heads, Rey has a cool head - maybe it's in here genes: "Patience. Use the force. Think."
    Obi-wan repeatedly had to counsel Anakin about keeping his focus on the task in hand, Luke failed to complete his training on Dagobah because his mind was on the possible fate of his friends.

In isolation each of these things can be dismissed but taken together it's a body of circumstantial evidence that Rey was a Kenobi in hiding.

If Rey was to be another Skywalker then there was no need for the marketing machine not to make it known because it's so obvious that she's a female Anakin Skywalker etc. However, if it is to be revealed that she is the grand daughter of Obi-wan Kenobi then the whole story arc is dramatically changed. It would potentially be a bigger twist than "No, I am your father."

Is it too clever for the creator of Lost and the writers at Disney to have come up with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

@Talisman - some decent points but each could be countered. I'm very cautious about becoming a SW nerd, so I'm not going to enter online debates (as soon as that happens, my transition to the geek side is complete) but the YT link will explain why I think Rey has the uppity English accent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jjA6ZL0Z_k This is a possible spoiler so don't watch if you don't want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,000 ✭✭✭Talisman

As I said each of the points could be dismissed.

The
    Rey is a Palpatine
    Snoke is Windu
    Finn is Snoke's son
    theories are also interesting.

Advertisement