Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Camera Club

Options
  • 02-02-2016 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm aware there's a post about the beginners course already, but Im more interested in the club itself and its activities.

What sort of activities does the club get up to?
    How many people?
    Do they shoot together (for example Id love to buddy up with someone for summer milkyway stuff, etc)?
    Is it just photography or is there an element of video, timelapse, etc?

Basically, what's it like?

I'm sure I'll think of a million different questions- but mainly it'd be nice to be around like minded people in person rather than mostly online.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It is a big and active club that has it's own premises.

Best thing is to go along to a couple of meetings as a guest and see for yourself. Go across to the Devitt's session after the meeting. You will probably meet a few regulars from here. The more you get involved the more you will get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

As Cabansail said, its a fairly big club - about 200 members. We meet every Tuesday in our premises at 10 Lower Camden Street, Dublin 2. Meetings start at 8.00 an last about 90 minutes. Typically we would get 40-60 people at each meeting (I'm guessing).

Meetings are either competition judging (about 1/3 of meetings) or a presentation by some photographer on specific topics or their work.

Besides the Tuesday meetings there are other workshops and courses as well as outings and sub-groups. We have two dark rooms and a studio, free to members but with strictly no commercial activity allowed.

A few on the forum are members (myself included). Why not come down to the club on a Tuesday to see what we are like? Visitors are always welcome and if you visit our site you can see the schedule of what's on on any given Tuesday (we are coming to the end of our Winter leagues so there's more competitions on than normal.)
    http://www.dublincameraclub.ie/currentprogram/month.calendar/2016/02/03/-

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mc_grens

Thanks folks.

Adrian I might just do that in the next week or two. Is there anyone that I should contact or can I just show up on x night as a non-paying member and explain my intention to potentially join?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Just show up. There should be a program on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

mc_grens wrote: »
    Thanks folks.

Adrian I might just do that in the next week or two. Is there anyone that I should contact or can I just show up on x night as a non-paying member and explain my intention to potentially join?

As Cabansail said - just arrive. At the end of each meeting the person closing the meeting will ask if there are any potential new members. If there are they just come up and say hello. They will then be given a tour of the club - darkrooms, studio etc. and invited to join us for tea/coffee (or across the road for something stronger).

Its all very friendly and easy going :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement