Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDR and 4 K, What's the point?

Options
  • 02-02-2016 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

What is the point is discussing new developments in the Broadcast world whilst BBC 2 N.I is still transmitting in SD? Netflix boss may have embraced HDR, but in these parts I can't pick up BBC radio on FM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

UTV weather sponsered by Electric Ireland,Vialentines day, mid Feb.
    "The days may be getting shorter and colder"?
    A long way to go before Gravity Waves and the 9th Planet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Er look, I'm sure your second post had some relevance to your first (or even made sense in its own right for that matter) and wasn't just an excuse to bump the OP, so I'll let it slide.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

AFAIK BBC2 regions (Scot/Wales/NI) are all SD at the moment and will remain so for some time. At least be thankful that the 'main channels' on Freeview (with exception of Five) are broadcast in HD which is clearly not the case with Saorview. As regards Ultra HD/4K I think it will be some time before it catches on. At present just BT Sport/Netflix and AFAIK possibly Amazon use it. No word yet of Sky Ultra HD Channels. i've also read that one Ultra HD channel takes up so much space to broadcast that it is unlikely that it will come in any major way to DTT i.e. Freeview/Saorview. Regarding BBC radio FM where exactly are you situated as you may not be within reasonable range of of a FM transmitter? If not why not try listening to Radio 4 on satellite?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The Japanese are skipping to 8K so it won't be long before manufacturers try to convince consumers that 4K is obsolete technology which of course will be bollocks. I don't think too many will make the leap from HD to 4K until their televisions pack in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

lertsnim wrote: »
    The Japanese are skipping to 8K so it won't be long before manufacturers try to convince consumers that 4K is obsolete technology which of course will be bollocks. I don't think too many will make the leap from HD to 4K until their televisions pack in.

Tend to agree with this although virtually all large screen TV sets being promoted in main stores are Ultra HD sets at present.

• Advertisement

The Japanese are skipping to 8K

Is 8K going to be the final word for HD, since its coming to the point where the human eye can't distinguish any finer detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Samsung playing around with 11K.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 numb.nuts

4K is just higher resolution. The colour spectrum is still the same as SD or HD.

However in HDR the colour spectrum is much improved. Essentially, HDR means a TV can cover a wider space within the colour spectrum, and within that space, the various gradations of shades will be much smoother than on current TVs and better contrast.

This all means the HDR can produce a far richer picture than 4K or 8K can. The next buzz word will be UHD and this will be the technology to go for. But broadcasters are a long way away from being able to transmit in UHD.

If you put a 4k/8k screen beside a UHD screen you will see a huge difference in the colour reproduction on the UHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

We have a UHD 1 Phase 1 specification today with a 4k broadcast resolution of 3840 × 2160. Two Astra satellites are transmitting a demo channel in this standard.

UHD 1 Phase 2 is under development with the same/similar resolution with added enhancements like High Dynamic Range, Wide Colour Gamut, High Frame Rate etc. Test channel on Eutelsat. https://tech.ebu.ch/news/2016/04/dvb-world-looks-under-uhdtv-ston

UHD 2 will probably focus on 8k resolution 7680×4320 in the next decade

Yesterdays BBC Click, catching up with the topic of HDR/ 4k, and saying Broadcasters may be ready to transmit in 2017/18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

reboot wrote: »
    Yesterdays BBC Click, catching up with the topic of HDR/ 4k, and saying Broadcasters may be ready to transmit in 2017/18.

Repeated early Thur morning if anyone's interested
    TECHNOLOGY: Click
    On: BBC News
    Date: Thursday 21st April 2016
    Time: 3:30 to 4:00 (30 minutes long)

Click looks at a new airship that hopes to take to the skies later this year. The team also explain what the new HDR standard will deliver for people buying new TVs.
    (Repeat, Widescreen, Subtitles)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/

Agreed, posted the same myself, Thanks

AFAIK BBC2 regions (Scot/Wales/NI) are all SD at the moment and will remain so for some time. At least be thankful that the 'main channels' on Freeview (with exception of Five) are broadcast in HD which is clearly not the case with Saorview. As regards Ultra HD/4K I think it will be some time before it catches on. At present just BT Sport/Netflix and AFAIK possibly Amazon use it. No word yet of Sky Ultra HD Channels. i've also read that one Ultra HD channel takes up so much space to broadcast that it is unlikely that it will come in any major way to DTT i.e. Freeview/Saorview. Regarding BBC radio FM where exactly are you situated as you may not be within reasonable range of of a FM transmitter? If not why not try listening to Radio 4 on satellite?

As posted elsewhere, Sky Tx Ultra H D for past 3 weeks, SkyQ, location with poor FM and no dab, Head Rd An along, TV, only SD IOM Tx 200 watts, Carling Ford Null, and nothing from Kilkeel.Apart from that, how was the play Mrs Lincoln?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭PureIsle

reboot wrote: »
    As posted elsewhere, Sky Tx Ultra H D for past 3 weeks, SkyQ, location with poor FM and no dab, Head Rd An along, TV, only SD IOM Tx 200 watts, Carling Ford Null, and nothing from Kilkeel.Apart from that, how was the play Mrs Lincoln?

Huh?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

we don't drag up old threads, particularly when none of the posts since the thread was dragged up appear to have added anything

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement