Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook account automatic posting virus?

Options
  • 01-02-2016 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

First of all, apologies in advance if this is not the most appropriate place to post this thread, so mods please feel free to move it elsewhere if needed.

Secondly, I've contacted Facebook themselves, but they've been slow to reply and kinda useless so just looking for some feedback/advice from anyone who's been in a similar situation. :)

Anyway, a few months ago a FB friend of mine posted an oddly worded message on my timeline with a link...this lady is very odd anyway by nature, so I thought nothing of it really and just clicked on the link...it was for some weight loss product or something.

A few hours later she posted, something like "my account was hacked, don't click on the link I posted or else your account will do the same thing tomorrow!"

When I read that I was like "F*ck this!", as I was getting sick of FB at the time anyway and then promptly deactivated my account.

My brother said there's been no odd posts by my now deactivated account since then.

However! I'm set to go travelling soon, so considering to go back on FB, but I've also been wondering...

If I go back on Facebook is it likely my account will start posting random odd posts on my friends' walls as well? Is there anything that can be done to prevent this from happening?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, and thank you for reading my post (I know it's quite a lengthy one!!)

Thanks a mil :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's fine, just change your password to something difficult to hack

18ixjf4me26kzjpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Oh really? That's good to hear! Thought since I clicked on the link that my account was infected with the bug no matter what.
    Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Just posting again for future reference, in case anyone experiences the same issue.

This link seems pretty helpful...
    https://www.facebook.com/help/131719720300233

Clicking on "I think my account was hacked or someone is using it without my permission" and then "secure it", hopefully may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bside29

I've had the same experience last year where my account posted nude pics and spam links. It was a bad experience I swear but I just changed my password and it fixed the problem. The above link to report that you think your account is hacked is also helpful, thanks for sharing that link. I'll spread the word on my timeline. Cheers!

Advertisement