Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of build

Options
  • 01-02-2016 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi there looking for some advice please

We have been looking at houses for two years in order to buy before the house prices go up again. We have been accepted for a small mortgage so have been looking at houses that need renovations but we are set on a specific area to live in.

We looked into a lot of options including building a log cabin. We have been gifted land and are now thinking that maybe a timber framed house would be a good idea. We looked at an 800sqft house with a converted attic and we feel that this would be sufficient for us.
    If we were to build a house like this in the current economy, do you think it would be expensive? Were dealing with a budget of about 70000e. I guess im asking if it is even possible or are we dreaming? I also have a plumber and electrician in the family They have both offered their services for free just to pay for the supplies

Is it cheaper to build timber frame or brick?

Ive heard horror stories about the cost of septic tanks being 15000? Is this true?

I know this is a long shot asking all of these questions but i appreciate any feedback at all even if its negative. Im at a loss here as I know very little and will be relying on people in the field in order to get estimate.
    Its expensive to get plans drawn up etc so thought I'd ask here first and get some views

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Go to an architect, give them your brief.

and wbefore they do any drawings

ask them to go with you to a pre-planning meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 quickq987

Will they be willing to do this?
    Thank you for the reply I hadnt even thought of something like that

Advertisement