Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom bidding

Options
  • 01-02-2016 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

I was wondering how common the practice of "phantom bidding" is? where an estate agent invents a bidder thus raising the price of a house.

I am currently bidding on a house that has taken some 5k jumps in price. I guess thats normal but im just curious. Its a long established Estate Agents in the city i am buying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Parchment wrote: »
    I was wondering how common the practice of "phantom bidding" is? where an estate agent invents a bidder thus raising the price of a house.

I am currently bidding on a house that has taken some 5k jumps in price. I guess thats normal but im just curious. Its a long established Estate Agents in the city i am buying.

Speaking to an estate agent at the weekend, what "could" be happening is that some potential buyer may have put in an offer on the apartment, and also informed the estate agent as to how high they are willing to go. So maybe the estate agent is playing you up as far as the other offers highest bid, just to see how far you will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In the early bids they tend to go up in 5Ks. Once it gets to the 3/4 serious players that will become 2 and 1K bids.
    Most EA wouldn't do phantom bids as it would damage their brand. Remember, that's their only asset, goodwill.
    Also the difference achieved by puffing would be very little to their commission. Some now ask for bids to be confirmed by email. Don't know how widespread that is, but a very good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Water John wrote: »
    In the early bids they tend to go up in 5Ks. Once it gets to the 3/4 serious players that will become 2 and 1K bids.
    Most EA wouldn't do phantom bids as it would damage their brand. Remember, that's their only asset, goodwill.
    Also the difference achieved by puffing would be very little to their commission. Some now ask for bids to be confirmed by email. Don't know how widespread that is, but a very good idea.

This property has jumped in 2k's and then 5k's.its now 3k over the asking price.

I actually asked could i follow up my verbal bid over the phone with an email (i work in an industry where following up with an email is normal practice) but the EA told me not to bother.

I guess i just dont want to be made a fool of in this process! its quite scary as a first time buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

When we bid on our house it went up slowly, and was taking an age for the others to come back. We were thinking of jumping 5k to scare the other off. In the end we went 3k so I'd say a 5k bid wouldn't be out of the ordinary. We did feel a little like yourselves at some points though. All you can do really is go to your max what your willing to pay and try not think about 'phantom bidders'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You don't have to copy anyone else. If you want to just always bid up in ones. The guide price now tend to be conservative.
    Learn as much as you can about the market in the area to judge your value.
    Of course the value to you is what you counts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Under new rules all bids must be by a verifiable form - usually text or email.

The fines for not being able to show this are high and action has been taken against agents already.

Another thing to consider is that many sellers wait til spring to put property on the market as gardens look better and its a lot brighter, so whilst not much is available at present (I know as I'm looking for my brother who is returning here soon) there will be a good amount coming on stream, so don't overpay and walk away if price goes above average in the area.

Prices paid for property can be found at propertypriceregister.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

VincePP wrote: »

The fines for not being able to show this are high and action has been taken against agents already.

Another thing to consider is that many sellers wait til spring to put property on the market as gardens look better and its a lot brighter, so whilst not much is available at present (I know as I'm looking for my brother who is returning here soon) there will be a good amount coming on stream, so don't overpay and walk away if price goes above average in the area.

What are the new rules?! We'll be hoping to buy I the next 12 months so id love to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

What are the new rules?! We'll be hoping to buy I the next 12 months so id love to know

Www.psr.ie

Contained both in the contract between the seller and agent and also under regulations im section 61 of 2011 property services regulations act.

If you are concerned you can make a complaint to the psr.

I sold a holiday home recently and the agent was pedantic on getting anything i said about an offer by text or email.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Absolutely put your bids in an email & ask that any other bids that come in from other people be communicated to you by email too.
    This should be standard practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Lets assume that the agent is a 1% sales fee agent. Are they really going to risk losing the sale with a phantom bidder for the sake of an extra €75 commission? I highly doubt it. If anything estate agents tend to get sales wrapped up ASAP. They make most of their commission on the large list price. The back and forth with bids to finalise, isnt worth the hassle for most agents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭rom

VincePP wrote: »

Lots on inaccuracies on that site. There are no fines if your put in incorrect info I am sorry to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Lets assume that the agent is a 1% sales fee agent. Are they really going to risk losing the sale with a phantom bidder for the sake of an extra €75 commission? I highly doubt it. If anything estate agents tend to get sales wrapped up ASAP. They make most of their commission on the large list price. The back and forth with bids to finalise, isnt worth the hassle for most agents.

They do it all the time. Trying to get the asking is very important for 'proving' themselves for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

The back and forth with bids to finalise, isnt worth the hassle for most agents.

Its about attracting future business by doing well for clients not the extra little bit in commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭OU812

When we were bidding on our first house 12 years ago, it got crazy, there were allegedly 3 other bidders & bids were going up by €1,000 daily by all three of us. Eventually I thought enough was enough.

From that point on, I increased the offer by €100 each time & confirmed it. The others still went up by €1,000 & then it jumped by €2,000 & then one of the others went up by €5,000. That out is out of it, but I still added another €100 before one of the others went up another €1,500.

House was originally listed at €200,000, sale agreed at €270,000.

I waited until the last minute then dropped out.

As it happens the sale fell through & he came back to us (& presumably the others) & we were offered second chance. I offered €25k below the original asking price.

Was told it wasn't going to happen at that. I insisted they tell the vendor.

Came back later that evening & was told he'd "let it go at €225k for a quick sale" (no chain).

Told him no & bought a house around the corner for €210k. The original one was taken off the market, then put back on & took another nine months to sell through another EA for €215k. It needed work but there was no way I was going to be the chump in that sale.

It was very obvious what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

I don't think it's the commission that may be behind possible phantom bids. Sometimes a seller refuses to sell until the price reaches an amount they have in their head. This can be a pain for the EA if they can't persuade the seller that it's unrealistic. If the bids get pushed up to the point that the seller is happy with, then the EA can close the sale which is what he/she really wants to do. It's not about an extra €50 commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭emeldc

OU812 wrote: »
    When we were bidding on our first house 12 years ago, it got crazy, there were allegedly 3 other bidders & bids were going up by €1,000 daily by all three of us. Eventually I thought enough was enough.

From that point on, I increased the offer by €100 each time & confirmed it. The others still went up by €1,000 & then it jumped by €2,000 & then one of the others went up by €5,000. That out is out of it, but I still added another €100 before one of the others went up another €1,500.

As it happens the sale fell through & he came back to us (& presumably the others) & we were offered second chance. I offered €25k below the original asking price.

Came back later that evening & was told he'd "let it go at €225k for a quick sale" (no chain).

Told him no & bought a house around the corner for €210k. The original one was taken off the market, then put back on & took another nine months to sell through another EA for €215k. It needed work but there was no way I was going to be the chump in that sale.

That's the way to do it, in fact the result would probably have been the same had you dropped out of the bidding earlier. My brother was bidding on a house before xmas. It had been on the market for about 6 months. Asking was €160k, and he offered his max available of €150k. In the same breath he told the EA that his bid could not be used as a bench mark to try and squeeze a couple of K from someone else. If the bid wasn't acceptable he would withdraw the offer and look elsewhere. The sale closes later this month!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Don't forget that the EA will pass on bids from bidders without the means or inclination to buy somewhere.

I could bid a friend's place up and have no intention of buying it.

The only way you can protect yourself is decide what you want to pay, don't pay a penny more, and if you pay anything less than that, it's a bonus.

Estate agents are still sharks, in spite of the regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

OU812 wrote: »

Woah!!! That is shocking. Its such a huge purchase in peoples lives so i find it so sad that the industry isnt more transparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Andrew Lloyd Webber had a problem with one squatting in his theatre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

You'd be amazed at what people will do for money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

terrydel wrote: »
    You'd be amazed at what people will do for money.

Please don't wake the zombies.

As this is a 3 year old thread. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement