Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottled water for baby bottles

Options
  • 01-02-2016 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

This may be a stupid question but do I need to boil bottled water for bottles? We have a plug-in water dispenser with the big 19litre bottles delivered every month. Baby is almost 15 weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

You do... http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1945.aspx?categoryid=62

You also need to check the sodium levels (see the above link) a lot of bottled water isn't sutible for making formula as the sodium levels are too high. Formula powder isn't sterile so that's why you add the powder to boiled water cooled for 30 minutes to about 70 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Evian water has the lowest sodium levels and is recommended should you need to use bottled water.

You ALWAYS have To boil and cool water to 70 degrees (leave kettle to cool for 30 minutes) for baby bottles

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

boiled tap water should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Our tap water stinks with sulphur. Has been tested and water is drinkable but smell puts me off drinking it myself so I don't want to give it to the baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

What brand of water do you have.

• Advertisement

heldel00 wrote: »
    Our tap water stinks with sulphur. Has been tested and water is drinkable but smell puts me off drinking it myself so I don't want to give it to the baby.

Bottled water isn't really suitable long term for a baby unfortunately (unless of course the water supply is undrinkable then it's an obvious choice). If your water is perfectly safe and drinkable it would be more advisable to go with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Water is from our own well. Cost us thousands which really bugs me that it's not perfect. As I said its drinkable but not enjoyable. Even today when my washing machine was on my mam couldn't believe the smell in utility room. We need a filtration system. It's on the to-do list!

You might need to get Evian so to make the bottles... You really don't want to take the risk with too much sodium. Pain in the neck though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Bottled water isn't really suitable long term for a baby unfortunately (unless of course the water supply is undrinkable then it's an obvious choice). If your water is perfectly safe and drinkable it would be more advisable to go with this.

Can I ask why it isn't suitable long term? Our tap water stinks of bleach so we only drink bottled water. The baby is breastfed but drinks bottled evian with meals and the toddler drinks it throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Can I ask why it isn't suitable long term? Our tap water stinks of bleach so we only drink bottled water. The baby is breastfed but drinks bottled evian with meals and the toddler drinks it throughout the day.

Same here - we don't drink our tap water either. Much prefer Evian so we all drink that.

• Advertisement

Babies have a very low amount of sodium that they can take in, and most bottled water would be too high in sodium for a baby who was bottle fed with the exception of Evian and one other tesco one I think... That's what i think Keane2bamused was saying? So not good for baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Gmail

I was looking into this recent,y myself and Aldi water has one of the lowest levels of sodium at 18mg/L
    From the recommendations I've read lower than 20mg/L is essential for a babies bottles. We've had no issues with aldi water so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Gmail

I was looking into this recent,y myself and Aldi water has one of the lowest levels of sodium at 18mg/L
    From the recommendations I've read lower than 20mg/L is essential for a babies bottles. We've had no issues with aldi water so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Gmail wrote: »

In comparison, Evian only has 6.5 mg/l of sodium. At least you know how much sodium is in bottled water and all the other things - calcium, etc. You won't know how much sodium is in tap water unless you get it tested.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Long term bottled water isn't recommended for anyone as there is chemical leakage from the plastic into the water, especially if the bottle has sat in sunlight. Even the bpa bottles aren't recommended. I say that as someone who can't so much as put ice made from tap water in a drink without my mouth and throat breaking out in sores and who has exclusively drank bottled water for nearly two decades. So I know that bottled water is often the lesser of two evils but I'd look for other options where possible. Once my son started drinking more water I bought a Big Berkey water purifier. It's expensive but the internal filtration system can last for 10-20 years if you use the black 'candles.' I shopped around and bought the tank and 'candles' and it came to about €230. And at the rate we had been drinking bottled water it's already paid for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I had to use bottled water for our children's bottles. Our own well had a salt-based filtration system that meant it wasn't suitable for a baby to drink. I was also wary of the water table being contaminated as we are in a farming area.
    Evian was good or I think Volvic(?). It had a low sodium level. I had considered using either Aldi or Lidl but I remember there being a contamination controversy and one of their own brand being withdrawn. This is quite a while back I hasten to add.
    And yes I boiled it before use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I had to use bottled water for our children's bottles. Our own well had a salt-based filtration system that meant it wasn't suitable for a baby to drink. I was also wary of the water table being contaminated as we are in a farming area.
    Evian was good or I think Volvic(?). It had a low sodium level. I had considered using either Aldi or Lidl but I remember there being a contamination controversy and one of their own brand being withdrawn. This is quite a while back I hasten to add.
    And yes I boiled it before use.

cyning wrote: »
    Babies have a very low amount of sodium that they can take in, and most bottled water would be too high in sodium for a baby who was bottle fed with the exception of Evian and one other tesco one I think... That's what i think Keane2bamused was saying? So not good for baby.

This is it. Also due to the chemicals in plastic as another poster ssid. People assume bottled water to be safer in general but it's not. Bacteria can be present also, there are many studies on it if you do a google search.

Advertisement