Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life coaching- second thoughts

Options
  • 01-02-2016 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

I was feeling a bit down and confused over Christmas so asked my mother to please set up an appointment with a life coach for when I'm next back in February.

She kindly obliged, got some recommendations from a friend and set up 2x2 hour sessions with a lady in Dublin city centre. At the eye-watering price of €369. :eek:

I'm now having massive second thoughts, I suppose what I wanted was more of a counselling session combined with some of the goal-setting techniques used by life coaches.

I just don't see how this money could ever be justified. What could this woman (who has a degree in music :rolleyes:) possibly tell me that's going to be so amazing. I feel that simply by having such high rates, I'm far more sceptical than I would be if I felt I was getting a good deal.

I'm going to email and cancel, but just wanted to check on here if anyone had any positive stories from using a life coach? Did you get what you wanted out of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Life coaching is like so many other modern 'pay me for common sense' fields.

Take the ordinary, over complicate it in order to create a professional space for yourself. Move into that space. Charge big money.

If you feel stuck, there are better options. At reasonable professional rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Check out the sticky on How to Find a Counsellor, and have a look at CBT in particular.

We cannot recommend individual therapists on this forum.

PS - €369 for 2x2 hours works out at €92.25 per hour.

As we are generally psychologists and counsellors on this forum, you probably won't get an answer to your question here.

Advertisement