Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone Deals

Options
  • 01-02-2016 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

anyone seen any offers on slightly older phones? Lower end, but that can get windows 10 in the future? Would think you should be able to get one for 50/60.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/Shop/Phones-Plans/All-Phones/Lumia-535

Lumia 535 for €69. Confirmed by MS it will get Win 10 at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

If you have a friend visiting the states, the Lumia 640 is about $60 or less and can be unlocked for free and used on any network.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,897 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Link to the free unlocking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The steps are here on Reddit ... I haven't tried them, personally, but there seem to be positive results for everyone else on the thread.

A great phone if you can get it for that price, works out about €46. (It's currently €130 on Three / €135 on Vodafone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd stretch to the 640 over the 535 if you can. Its much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,897 ✭✭✭✭unkel

A great phone if you can get it for that price, works out about €46.

Madness! It looks and feels like a midrange €200-€300 phone. Some deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

thanks all, I guess we should see the 640 dropping here soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ablelocks

some deals on used / new at the PC World ebay store :

550 - £60
    435 - £40
    535 - £53
    640 - £90 'ish depending on model

950 - £320
    950XL - £320 (!) - edit - gone, at least for now - edit 4/2 - back again in white
    “A product is listed as "Used" when the box has been opened, and/or the outer box has minor signs of age or wear - so strictly speaking can no longer be called "New". Each and every product is visually inspected to check the product is in great condition and all accessories are included*. Open box, “Used” items may be aged, surplus warehouse stock, or an unwanted product returned by customers who have opened them and found them not to their liking. Most items will be like new, or may only possess minor signs of handling or use, with insignificant cosmetic blemishes at most. If the product has missing accessories/parts or has particularly heavy damage to the box, this will be stated in the product listing. *please understand our customer service team are unable to describe the precise condition of each item we sell as our stock is warehoused and they do not have access to these.​​​​​”

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

The steps are here on Reddit ... I haven't tried them, personally, but there seem to be positive results for everyone else on the thread.

A great phone if you can get it for that price, works out about €46. (It's currently €130 on Three / €135 on Vodafone)

(sorry, meant to reply sooner)

That method still works, just confirmed it with a couple of friends in the states who are Windows developers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I am over in the US next week and the Best Buy has said phone for 50 USD, Will it work on our networks?

http://www.gsmarena.com/microsoft_lumia_640_lte-7055.php

According to that it should work here. Ireland users 800, 900 and 1800.

• Advertisement

Hopefully you haven't bought it for $50. I see that Best Buy in the US have dropped the Lumia 640 to $29.99

I have this phone already and running Windows 10, it's great - very fast and responsive with good battery life (Win10 build .107)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Excellent! I am over on Sunday. I might pick up two and give one to my dad.

Any chance I could convince you to pick one up for me? I'm getting sick of 8.1 on my Win HD LTE and at $30 the 640 is a no brainer.

Excellent! I am over on Sunday. I might pick up two and give one to my dad.
    With Best Buy you can order for Store Pickup - just to ensure that there are enough of the handset in the store you plan on going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Would it be tricky to unlock one of these?

I am picking up a few so If I have a spare one at the end your welcome to it!

Nice one. Really appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Put me at the end of that queue. I could do with another.

If you like W8.1 get the 640 and WP10 on it. Its much better. Still a few bugs not perfect by any means. I really like the one I have. My main gripe is the vibration is so weak to be useless for me. Otherwise its a vast improvement on my 520.

If you love Android I wouldn't bother with a WP10 yet (or maybe ever).

http://www.gsmarena.com/microsoft_lumia_640_lte-7055.php

According to that it should work here. Ireland users 800, 900 and 1800.

Done a bit more research and it turns out I was wrong. The T-Mobile version in that link is the same one that AT&T use. We use 2100 band for 3g so that will work fine but we use 800, 900 and 1800 for 4g. The AT&T version won't work here for 4g at all.

Lack of 4G doesnt bother me in the slightest, sure all that will do is burn through my data quicker. Why do carriers give us 4G but dont increase our caps :mad:

Yeah, superfast 4g internet access so you can burn through your 1GB allowance is 10 minutes. Don't think we'll be seeing that slogan on a billboard any time soon. :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I only saw this thread now so probably a bit late to the party but if there's any chance you could grab me one of them 640's LIGHTNING too I'd greatly appreciate it. If its too late or you're already getting too many then that's fine, wouldn't want you to get stung for customs like.

Advertisement