Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broad Bean Q

Options
  • 31-01-2016 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

I planted some broad beans (Sutton) in the ground in October and some in modules in a cold frame. With the mild weather, the plants in modules are getting very tall (at least 12 inches which I think is close to full height) and I wonder should I move them on to bigger pots or put them in the ground? Is it a bad idea to plant out at this time? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭macraignil

I found delaying planting out beans did not prove a good idea for me in the past. I think they are sensitive to root disturbance and this gets to be more of a problem when they are bigger. I'd try putting them in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Thanks, the ground has dried up a bit so hopefully it'll be ok if I plant them now. I might keep a few in pots as back ups. I did pretty well one year by keeping the beans in window boxes in a cold frame and then into the ground in spring but it was a much colder winter.

Advertisement